1980s named painted Gentex helmet

Gavin D.

Hi all, I picked up this cool helmet recently named to Kershner. The helmet is dated 1987. The model is DH-132A. Would this have belonged to a pilot?

post-158043-0-88199700-1470942376.jpg

VolunteerArmoury

It'd belong to an armored crewman such as tank, APC, M88 recovery vehicle, FOX, ACE, Stryker, etc. I wore one while a M106 driver in the 90s & again in the mid 2000s with Bradleys.

VolunteerArmoury

It varied. I was once issued one that was painted woodland camouflage. I have a shell that I randomly acquired & painted a T for Tennessee & my branch insignia on to shelf on the shelf but I didn't use any that I painted. Most weren't painted that I recall beyond tan for desert &/or maybe a last name. I remember some guys had a cover that fit over them. .

Most guys I saw wearing dust goggles ran the strap under that button-down strap in the rear to keep them from falling off the helmet completely.

Sorry for the delayed response but my internet has been down the past couple of days. Thanks for all the responses. Matt the goggles are attached in the back of the helmet like you said and I added a better photo. The helmet and attachments came in a flight bag dated 91. There is also a couple replacement eye glass for the goggles.

post-158043-0-82476000-1471285429.jpg

post-158043-0-01577800-1471285441.jpg

VolunteerArmoury

That's exactly like how I had mine. The helmet was issued or whatever the term is in this case to the vehicle in that case.

Thanks VolunteerArmoury for confirming the helmet came in this case. That is very interesting. Is there any chance of actually identifying him?

I would actually guess that to be 80s era on a 60s/early 70s style CVC.

​The helmet in Post 13 is a T-56-6 with Vietnam period camo. These were replaced in 1973 by the DH-132 type helmet seen in Post 1 & 2. The painting of CVC helmets reached a peak in the 1980's, with the onset of Desert Storm most CVC helmets were painted the sand color used on vehicles. As of 1998 there was no official Army regulation governing the painting of CVC helmets, it was left to the discretion of unit commanders.

​Larry

Great info Larry and love the CVCs...gavin when you get a chance could we see a pic of your helmet with the goggles on it, like a front angle view, these look great with goggles on....mike

This is the CVC I wore, Fort Hood 1991-92. I volunteered at the 2nd Armored Museum working on captured Iraqi tanks from Desert Storm and was given this as a token of appreciation for my volunteer efforts. Unfortunately, the foam ear pads are dried out and crumbling.

post-32676-0-83692200-1471358800_thumb.jpg

​Absolutely one of the best painted CVC helmets I have ever seen. The entire crew of the ARNG SP gun had variations of this motif.

Larrypost-9881-0-35025400-1471362173.jpg

This is the CVC I wore, Fort Hood 1991-92. I volunteered at the 2nd Armored Museum working on captured Iraqi tanks from Desert Storm and was given this as a token of appreciation for my volunteer efforts. Unfortunately, the foam ear pads are dried out and crumbling.

Ear foam is easy enough to find.Usually less than $10. on ebay.Look for them under Gentex helmets or Flight helmets. They are all pretty much the same. The ones from an SPH 4 helmet will work,

Mike I will upload a photo with the goggles in front view as soon as I get the chance. Matt, is the CVC helmet you wore an earlier model because it has a different look to it/ the texture of the helmet itself is different. Your helmet is very nice.

Yes, it's got the shiny 1970s green paint still on it. It was surplus by 91 but it still worked. Here I am in a M-60 tank wearing it with the shell removed (I didn't want to ruin the front decal). It was a museum piece, but I loved that tank.

post-32676-0-55976400-1471388999_thumb.jpg

No problem, I went and dug out my CVC, it is dated 1976 so it was 15 years old by 1991. I think the life for them is about 10 years on active duty.

Gavin, great lid.

Here is an example of CVC helmet painted for OIF. The shell has multiple paint layers before desert tan was painted.

20160811.jpg
20160812.jpg
20160813.jpg

Mercenary I really like your OIF helmet. It has a really good used look to it. Mike here are a couple photos of it on a mannequin that you asked for.

post-158043-0-38470500-1471459506.jpg

post-158043-0-61432800-1471459513.jpg