Named B-24 Flight Crew photo need help identifying bomber!

Adrian6256

Hello all,

I've had this really cool B-24 flight crew photo for some time now. I've been trying to research the crew to learn what bomber these guys served on, and where they served. So far I've come up empty. I was wondering if someone could help steer me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

The reverse of the photo says as follows:

First row Left to right.

Lt. Foster- N

"Schneider- P

"Holland- B

" Hogat - C.P.

Back Row left to right.

S/sgt. Mac Callan Malor ?? - Nose

S/sgt. Tollbert - Tail.

T/sgt. Turrin - Eng.

S/sgt. Miller - Waist

S/sgt. Burns - "

T/sgt. Wozniak - Radio

post-158668-0-12296800-1470927230_thumb.jpgpost-158668-0-84778900-1470927221_thumb.jpg

Great photo! I have a feeling this was taken stateside and may have been during training. It is late war I think as the B-24 is unpainted. If so I would think it would be impossible to determine which aircraft this is.

But that is my two, unsubstantiated, cents worth.

Mike

Great photo! I have a feeling this was taken stateside and may have been during training. It is late war I think as the B-24 is unpainted. If so I would think it would be impossible to determine which aircraft this is.

But that is my two, unsubstantiated, cents worth.

Mike

Woah!!! I didn't even consider that. Thanks for the insight.

Adrian.

Another point to remember is that crews didn't always have their photo taken in front of a plane they flew on a regular basis. I was told this years ago by a former B-24 pilot This photo could very well have been taken in theater. You never know sometimes.

Here's what I tried. I used "Turrin" as it was an uncommon name and found 5 WW2 enlistments with that name.

35601807 Turrin, Albert C. Tuscarawas, Ohio 4 February 1943 1923
12162669 Turrin, Aristide Passaic, New Jersey 5 October 1942 1920
39616020 Turrin, Fausto Cascade, Montana 7 February 1943 1910
32202384 Turrin, Oswald New York, New York 14 January 1942 1915
06580003 Turrin, Veto C. Tolland, Connecticut 20 November 1939 1855

From: http://wwii-enlistment.com/search/?asn=&laundryNumber=&forename=&surname=Turrin&state=&county=&birthYear=&search=Search

Of those 5, Albert was a PFC according to his headstone (no match), Oswald was a corporal, and Veto was too old.

That leaves Aristide and Fausto.

Aristide enlisted in 1942 in the Air Corps, but I couldn't find much else on him.

http://www.ww2enlistment.org/index.php?page=directory&rec=570891

Judging by the caption on the front, the crew commander is pilot R.V. Schneider. Find him and you'll probably find the rest of the information.

Judging by the caption on the front, the crew commander is pilot R.V. Schneider. Find him and you'll probably find the rest of the information.

Thanks for the lead. It's greatly appreciated

Adrian

doinworkinvans

Pilots name is Rene Schneider....the "V" is wrong I think on the photo....there is a MACR with info on crash but I cant locate the number

Yep, hit by flak on 9/8/44 in B-24 42-52662: http://445bg.org/macr-summary.html

Here is your co-pilot Carl Hogel

name is spelled wrong on picture

They did crash land so there should be a MACR

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/bennington/obituary.aspx?n=carl-a-hogel&pid=109073952

You gentleman are amazing!!!! Thank you so Much!!!!

-Adrian

• 2 weeks later...

Great detective work guys! Loved seeing the story get fleshed out on this one. Nothing better!

Paul

Hello, Thanks to the help MattS I was able to provide this newly identified photo to the 445th BG website. I decide to get the photo digitally colorized! Let me know what y'all think.

Thanks,

Adrian

post-158668-0-20022100-1471766404_thumb.jpg

doinworkinvans

I think that is great news and awesome that you did that! Im sure the site was thrilled to receive new info. Great work!