Us M1 helmet ww2 with white circle

shifty5580

Hi Guys,

I recently found this M1 helmet in Belgium...

It's a fixed bail with firestone liner, A washers unpainted.

In nice used condition, complete

There is a white circle on the side of the helmet and the liner. I dont know his signification maybe 11st airborne (but why an infantry helmet), corpsman, navy,...?

post-135673-0-24214300-1470923767_thumb.jpg

If the circle is only on one side i doubt its 11AB...ive never seen it done on just one side, im thinking its got to be something else....mike

Hello,

thanks for your comments, for me the insignias are original (I've bought it in a non collector guys), and the price was really low

Yes the circle is only in one side; really strange!

The seller say it was found in belgium in 60's

Bertrand

• 2 weeks later...

post-135673-0-98079500-1472220906.jpgHello,

it's maybe a 463rd PFAB? I see some units dont have a paratrooper helmet but an infantry...

I hope it's this unit

Bertrand

Bertrand,

Regs at the time required that the regimental insignia be painted on both sides of the helmet. They varied in both size and artistry, but typically followed a consistent theme. A 506th PIR D-day veteran told me once, that just before the D-day jump, he painted his platoons helmets using a cardboard stencil, white paint borrowed from a farmer and a shaving brush. The insignia on the side of your helmet is overly large. In fact, it's larger than any 463rd PFAB insignia I've ever seen, and only appears on one side for both the shell and liner. The patina is too deliberate and appears very artificial. I seriously doubt that this helmet is airborne related.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Also the way it crinkled on the liner doesn't look like lead based paint but rather modern paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your comments,

For me all insignia look to be original, I pay a very low price and the seller was not a collector...

But in this time it's hard to know to story of any item! But why paint insignia then no one knows????

Bertrand

I agree with the others seems to be artificially aged over the white dot. However it is a fixed bail helmet and front seam and that indicates it is earlier WWII helmet. There should be some numbers on the inside front of helmet that could narrow down the age some more...also the outside of the helmet appears to have some nice original paint cork and real nice patina too...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
Burning Hazard

White circles seem to denote a lot of things, probably the most common is corpsman. However, there are many white circles that could be tac markings of some sort depending on unit or ship.

Below is a picture from a footage reel showing a signalman (?), he has white circle on his helmet as well.

Pat

Unkown Circle.jpg