11" DAHLGREN Naval Cannon

superchief

The 11" Dahlgren Naval Cannon was chosen by John Ericsson, designer of the USS MONITOR to arm his breakthrough warship. Contained in a 29' revolving turret, the Monitor sported two of the rifled Dahlgren guns. In a four and a half hour naval battle, the Monitor was unable to severely damage it's opponent the CSS VIRGINIA(ex-USS Merrimac). But damage to the Monitor was light owing to it's maneuverability, low profile, and constant rate of fire from it's twin guns. Historians consider the battle a draw, as neither ship was sunk. But the battle of Hampton Roads heralded the end of wooden warships, either sail or steam powered. The future of naval battles would be decided by powered armored ships with heavy caliber weapons.

The model is 1/16 scale and was offered by Verlinden models. Composed of resin, the model was relatively clean of flash and free of mis-shapen parts. Unfortunately the kit was missing a number of parts and I was unable to get any help from Verlinden. I substituted the missing parts with wood and brass and added some nuts and bolts to the kit for visual effect. The kit was airbrushed with Testor's Military paints and dusted with ground chalk.

post-162620-0-25946700-1470884358_thumb.jpg

post-162620-0-92813100-1470884458.jpg

Being a gunner/redleg myself I would LOVE to see such a gun firing and the "recoil-system" working... Amazing work!!!! A real masterpiece, the tube looks like made of real metal. Thanks also for the little history lesson, I enjoyed the background informations!

Lars

This is a very nice depiction. I like the clean lines and the added tools on the gun carriage and the rope recoil mechanism really put this model over the top. Nice work.

Semper Fi.

Manny

pararaftanr2

Congratulations on a museum-quality piece of work. Can you tell us specifically what Testors colors you used on the barrel and carriage to achieve your realistic looking finish?

Regards, Paul