rigger modified torso harness question

TLeo

Okay.....a few years ago I picked up a Marine flight helmet and the integrated torso harness named to a Marine A-4 Skyhawk pilot. I was looking over the torso harness the other day since I had not had it out in a long time and remembered/saw that it was rigger modified by the addition of a sdu-5 strobe light pouch and radio/shroud cutter pouch on one side and another pouch on the other side with a survival mirror wiht a bit of room for a few other items. So the question is....the sv survival vest would not have been worn, correct? If worn it would seem to be very hard to access the oher pouches as needed?

edited....disregard, found my anwser

northcoastaero

The SV-2 series vest would not have been worn over the torso parachute harness with modified/added pouches. MA-2 is the original designation of the harness. PCU-33/P would be a later designation. A PCU-33/P with added pouches would be given another PCU-??/P designation. I will have to go through some info to get the exact designation. I believe the standardized added pockets were modified to some of the harnesses beginning in the mid 1970s?

The SV-2 series vest would not have been worn over the torso parachute harness with modified/added pouches. MA-2 is the original designation of the harness. PCU-33/P would be a later designation. A PCU-33/P with added pouches would be given another PCU-??/P designation. I will have to go through some info to get the exact designation. I believe the standardized added pockets were modified to some of the harnesses beginning in the mid 1970s?

Thanks, that confirms what I found. So anything else carried would have to be carried some other way.

This one was being worn until late 80s at least from what I know about the pilot. The label is so faded it's hard to tell but I think it was made in the 70s.

My understanding is that the modified MA2's where used stateside, SV-2's were used overseas where additional survival equipment might be required .

The other items like the SRU-31 packets would be carried in the RSSK seat kit. Pretty much all the other items minus the hunting/survival knife can fit in the 3 pockets of the rigger modified MA-2

Appreciate the confirmation and info guys. This might make a good next project for another aviator display along side the Prowler ECMO I just finished.