"Knots" on the GCM

Jim Baker

I'm curious about when the "knots" on Good Conduct Medals came into existence. And in this particular photo, what is the total amount of service indicated?

Thanks!!!

post-78-1221959263.jpg

The Army GCM bronze clasp with two loops is for the second award. There is no authorized bronze clasp with one loop -- don't be misled by the one illustrated on TIOH's Web page for the Army GCM (link here). The first award of the Army GCM is worn without a clasp. TIOH gives a standard history for the the basic award but does not mention when the clasps were introduced. The Army GCM was not included in the 1941 edition of AR 600-30 but both the medal and the clasp are included in the 1944 edition (re. paragraph 51). So, I would say that the clasp was authorized sometime between October 30, 1942, when the basic medal was approved, and March 31, 1944, when revised AR 600-30 was published.

...I'm not used to seeing these on WWII era uniforms...

A close reading of WWII rules for the Army GCM make it pretty clear that not many GI's would have qualified for more than one award "during the war" (however defined.) Not impossible, given the right individual circumstances, but tough to do.

Current regulations allow the award of the Army Good Conduct Medal for each three years of faithful service. As far as I know, the AGCM and the Non Commissioned Officer Proffesional Development Ribbon are the only Army awards where the accoutrement denoted the total number of awards. As stated, the first award is the ribbon. The first subsequent award (second award) is denoted by two knots, the third by three knots etc etc... Most other awards, where the subsequent awards are denoted by either bronze oak leaf clusters or bronze star devices, the total number of awards is always one greater than the number of accoutrements. For example, the award of the Army Commendation Medal would be the ribbon for the first award. The second award would be shown by the ribbon with one oak leaf cluster device, third award, two oak leaf clusters and so on. Subsequent awards of the NCOPDR are denoted by bronze numeral devices which show the total number of proffesional development schools attended. For Example, if one goes to WLC (Warrior Leader's Course, also knows as PLDC or PNCOC), they are awarded the ribbon. The first subsequent award (for BNCOC) would be the bronze number 2 device. ANCOC would be a 3 device, and so on.

Hope this helps.

Wayne