Have you ever thought to join a Veterans' Organization?

KevinBeyer

^ Thank you for your service, but you echoed what was exactly my point.

When you join the military you become part of a brotherhood or sisterhood with men and women that you bond with as part of a team that accomplishes a mission many times in harms way. You are taught to appreciate the customs and traditions of your service. You strive to achieve various goals and you are rewarded with tangible forms or recognition that really doesn't mean a whole lot once you have left that service. You pass through that gate for the last time and enter a society that you defended with your life where that tangible recognition means nothing. It is like re-entering a world where you are playing catch up with contemporaries who have had time to establish their careers and lives.

That is why you should try and find a professional organization related to your service, rank, career field or command first. If nothing more, catch up with what happened since your departure -- and you may find someone else that you served wih.

There is a directory of VA-recognized veterans organizations. The number and type would surprise you, especially the ones who can help with VA-related issues. If' I've done it correctly, follow this like and scan through the document:

http://www.va.gov/vso

Check it out and find a home.

Flyboy, the link was almost correct, one just has to copy the whole link and post into the browser...as a clickable link it goes to the VA's homepage. I tried to copy/paste into this response without success. Thanks for posting it, that was an interesting list from the VA!

Steve

• 5 months later...

I work for the State of California Employment Development Department in Veteran Services to help Veterans find jobs and I even get paid for it! Doing outreach in my community, I see firsthand what these organizations do for Veterans. We network to help Veterans get jobs, help the homeless get back on their feet, gain Veteran benefits, send WWII Veterans to their memorial in Washington DC, and a host of other community projects. So, I am a Life member of the American Legion (AL), Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW), American Veterans (AMVETS), and the Disabled American Veterans (DAV). I am also a yearly member of the National Association of Uniformed Services (NAUS), Fleet Reserve Association (FRA), and Team Red White and Blue (RWB). I may be missing a few others but it is a way for me to stay connected to my Veteran heritage.

phantomfixer

I read on this thread that the VFW didn't want VN vets???? I grew up in the Atterbury VFW in Christiana Delaware, right behind the New Castle Airport...My mom was a barmaid and auxillary member.. I would hang out in the basement playing pool...

anyway this was in the late 70s..78 or so maybe earlier but there were tons of VN vets as members

I qualify for the VFW,, but was never in combat, never kicked down a door or pulled a trigger (in anger or defense, just to qualify), my grandfather was in the 36th ID in WWII PH etc and was the vice commander in Elkton MD...Burrhead, (RIP pop-pop) if anyone out there goes to the Elkon VFW.. I should join that VFW in his honor...

"I should join that VFW in his honor... "

You know... you are right phantomfixer. I never thought about membership in quite that way before. My father served in the Army Air Corps during WWII and was a member of his local American Legion. He always liked to correct people and say that he was in the Army and not the Air Force during the war. I should join as a Legacy Member myself but I have not done so.

My wife is a member of the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association as an Auxiliary as her father was a Pearl Harbor Survivor and regular member of that organization. I have been away from the forum for the last two weeks because he died last week and we have been doing all the things one must do in those circumstances. Navy Signalman 1st Class Archie J. Scott was on the heavy cruiser New Orleans at Pearl Harbor and fought in all the major sea battles in the PTO. He liked to say that he was in the war from the first day until the last since he was on Okinawa when Harry Truman dropped the bomb and saved him from certain death as he was by then in USMC uniform waiting to stand on the beach of the Japanese home islands with signal flags directing the incoming invasion. A Japanese target if there ever was one. Archie always liked Harry Truman after he saved his life.

Yes, I have. Last September I joined the Polish Legion of American Veterans Sons and Grandsons auxiliary. I'm Post 55's official photographer!

post-3656-0-41676200-1437341030.jpg

• 2 months later...
Fred Borgmann

I am not a veteran but most of my friends and family are. Years ago the local VFW which was ageing out of existence needed one more pallbearer for a funeral. I was asked to fill in and wear one of their yellow vests with the deceased's medals on it. I didn't think that was right and declined to wear the vest. They thought a nonmember would make the group look bad and might endanger their charter. I was then voted in as an honorary member and as such I wore the vest. Sadly I think all of those guys have passed on now and that memory will die with me.

• 2 weeks later...

I joined the Marine Corps League eight years ago. When I went to my first meeting I said that if the MCL was a bunch of old guys hanging out and drinking beer I wanted to part of it. That could not have been further my the truth with the detachment I joined. Last year we raised and donated out over $20K.