Have you ever thought to join a Veterans' Organization?

KevinBeyer

Regardless of what organization you belong to it is best to keep your political views to yourself. Religion and politics make bad topics of discussion in a crowd. If someone brings them up just smile and walk away.

I think you just hit on what I most miss about my time in the Army with my team. We were all so damn different, in every way, but we were closer to each other than we will ever be to any other people.

T-Bone

I've thought about it, but I really have no motivation to join anything. I have to much on my hands at the thime to spend much time there and I'm not a drinker, so bars aren't my thing. Nor is all the noise. I like a nice quiet nite alone.. I never thought of my service as more than a job.. It was something I wanted to do, I did it, it's over.. I don't use any of my veteran benefits. Don't know why.. Just none of it ever really interested me.. I've done things for different organizations, but was content to just give my time and go.. Maybe it's just I'm a true addict and I see the dues as money I could be spending towards my next militaria fix.

Fins.

I'm a member of the Marine Corps League. they pay the dues of active duty Marines...though I really have no time to attend events...

• 3 weeks later...

In addition to maintaining membership in the Sons of the American Revolution, I'm actively involved in an association composed of people who have ancestors that served in the 6th Georgia Cavalry Regiment, CSA. Last July we held our first get together to discuss who our ancestors were, and to share information regarding the regiment's role in the Civil War.

Our organization is not about reenacting, but rather focusing on documenting the history of the regiment, and the individual soldiers. In fact, we are in the planning stages for this July's reunion of decendants, and have discussed the possibility of expanding the association to include not only those with 6th GA Cavalry ties, but to the other GA regiments that composed the Georgia Brigade in General Joseph Wheeler's command.

• 2 months later...

I'm new to this forum, and felt that I needed to post my response to this topic. I am not a veteran, but spent two years in college Air Force ROTC(kicked myself for not joining!), and was married to an active service member. My brother, father, and grandfather were all in the military at some point in their lives. Their service led me to discover my passion for WWII reenacting and collecting. After doing so for several years, I felt I wanted to do more for our current military overseas as well as those returning home. I knew that my father had been a member of the American Legion for many years. I researched the group on the internet, and contacted someone listed with the women's auxiliary. The requirements for membership in the Legion Auxiliary are to be a spouse, daughter, granddaughter, sister, etc., of a military member who served during a period of declared war/conflict. (the key here being declared by congress) Our post auxiliary is one of the most active in the mid-south, and on any given meeting we will have atleast 20 members present. There are many more "occasional" attenders, and those who are inactive, but maintain their membership. Our main goals are to support veterans and educate youth on our government and military. We have a list of community charities that nearly fills an entire page, that we contribute to from our general funds. Our yearly Poppy sales raise funds that benefit veterans in VA hospitals and nursing homes, as well as fund political action to benefit US veterans. Each year, we sponsor Girls State, which is a week long program for high school girls designed to inspire and educate them on our U.S. Government and becoming good citizens. These are girls from the local community that may be children or relatives of veterans, as well as those less fortunate, who are in need of strong leadership, which the Legion Auxiliary provides. Girls State prepares young women with the tools to make a difference in their communities. With the economy and multiple weather emergencies nationwide, the Auxilary also sponsors the Emergency Relief Fund, which supports members in personal or other types of temporary crisis.

In the fall, we hold a benefit for homeless veterans to assist them with finding shelter, and offering warm clothing to those who need it. We take food and small gifts and visit the veterans at the local VA hospital and nursing home every few months. Twice yearly, we have a "boxing for the troops" event, where we collect personal care items, music, books and other items, plus a special "pocket flag" and prayer that our unit makes and sends to each soldier. We are actively involved in legislation that effects current military and especially all of the returning soldiers that so desperately need our assistance and support. Our local VA has just opened a special women's clinic facility that the Legion was instrumental in organizing. Schools don't teach much in the way of history any more, and when they do, it's decidedly negative towards the military and patriotism. The Auxiliary reaches out to schools through several programs, including Junior Auxiliary membership. My 10yr old daughter knows more about veterans and WWII history than almost any high school kids. She was "Miss Poppy" this past year. Part of her duties at several special holiday events, was to recite the poem "In Flander's Fields". Every time she did so, we had veterans come up with tears in their eyes talking about how special it was to see a young girl recite that poem.

I could go on, and on and on. Our list of programs seems never-ending. Yes, we have a beautiful facility that has a full dining room, restaurant and bar, but that is NOT why I joined. I'm sure there are people who did join for that reason, but from what I have seen, our Post is very motivated and active. It's strange how it happens, but if you get involved in something to help someone else rather than what you can get out of it, you end up getting much more in return. The American Legion Auxiliary to me is a social networking group who focuses on political and community service to the highest degree. Any group that begins with a common interest(veterans or families of them)has a much better chance of success in working toward a common goal. After all this mess in Iraq and Afganistan is finally over, our troops will need us more than ever. Perhaps the Vets not finding enough reason to join for their own benefit, might consider others needs. There are more massive injuries in returning veterans now than in any other time in our history- due in large part to our advances in medical technology. That means there will need to be better medical support for them when they return, as well as psychiatric help for all the PTSD disorders that will inevitably follow.

-Kathryne

Kathryne,

An excellent report on just some of the activities of your American Legion post. Thank you for taking the time to reply on this thread. Just as some members of the military did not have a positive experience in the armed forces some veterans have no interest in veteran organizations. I think it is to be expected.

My father-in-law is a Pearl Harbor survivor but never went to a reunion or joined a veteran organization until 50 years after the end of the war. I went to the last reunion to be held at Pearl Harbor a few years ago with him and he could not wait to go and be a part of the rememberance. He even sought out, and talked to, a Japanese veteran who attended the event who was a pilot who my father-in-law most probably shot at as he made a torpedo run past his heavy cruiser. A person's outlook sometimes changes with time and some old veterans become more interested in veterans organizations as time goes by.

Your experience in the AL Auxiliary has been positive and I thank you for your service to our veterans, your community, and your post. I think there is a natural tendency for people who have shared experiences, particularly the military, to tend to want to congregate in fellowship with their brothers and sisters. Veteran organizations have been around for a long time and I see no reason to expect they will fade away any time soon. :salute:

Kathryne,

You have a treasure there.

Our Post 13 Auxiliary was purposefully, and tragically, decimated and destroyed by a handful of men who took control and cast them out of the HQ facility - 4 years ago.

Some of us fought and fought against it - but were told again and again by Department AND National that, "Local problems must be resolved locally."

We finally gave up.

Past Honor Guard

Past Sgt at Arms

Past District Service Officer

I am a member of the Marine Corps League. I never get to the meetings as I'm rarely at home, but I love being associated with the warriors of past generations. There's a VFW in the area I intend to join

I am a member of:

American Legion

Veterans of Foreign Wars (Life)

27th Division Association

Society of the First Infantry Division (Life)

Some comments after just reading this entire thread:

Seems like a lot of folks think members drink, smoke, tell war stories and argue. Hopefully, some of the things in here will have prompted those who think this way to rethink a little bit. I'm going to add a few things myself to help sway them...

-When my unit deployed to Afghanistan last year, the American Legion sent reps to the deployment ceremony to act as ushers for the families so our Soldiers could all participate. They also handed out Blue Star banners to each Soldier's family.

-The VVA also sent reps to the deployment ceremony, shook the hand of every Soldier and coined them with VVA coins. Every single Soldier.

-For any of us traveling to and from Iraq and Afghanistan with stops in Bangor, Maine, we will NEVER FORGET the American Legion/VFW greeting crew as we stepped into the terminal. I came back to the States on Christmas Eve. There were over 20 greeters there at 1800, giving up Christmas dinner for us.

-While we were deployed, the American Legion and the American Legion Auxiliary actively worked with our Family Readiness Group, helping families of deployed soldiers with everything from taxes to lawn mowing to sheep shearing.

-When we finally made it through out-processing and got home, we were greeted not only by our families, but by the American Legion and Operation Welcome Home.

Yes, these groups nationally lobby for veterans, and yes, each local post is different. But the things I've SEEN are what make these organizations important and meaningful today. I'm proud to be a member of both the AL and the VFW. Even though my time is limited now (the Army still keeps me pretty busy), and my participation is limited to dollars, once I've hung up my ACU's I'll be there to help keep these organizations going.

lugercarbine
I am a member of:

American Legion

Veterans of Foreign Wars (Life)

27th Division Association

Society of the First Infantry Division (Life)

Some comments after just reading this entire thread:

Seems like a lot of folks think members drink, smoke, tell war stories and argue. Hopefully, some of the things in here will have prompted those who think this way to rethink a little bit. I'm going to add a few things myself to help sway them...

-When my unit deployed to Afghanistan last year, the American Legion sent reps to the deployment ceremony to act as ushers for the families so our Soldiers could all participate. They also handed out Blue Star banners to each Soldier's family.

-The VVA also sent reps to the deployment ceremony, shook the hand of every Soldier and coined them with VVA coins. Every single Soldier.

-For any of us traveling to and from Iraq and Afghanistan with stops in Bangor, Maine, we will NEVER FORGET the American Legion/VFW greeting crew as we stepped into the terminal. I came back to the States on Christmas Eve. There were over 20 greeters there at 1800, giving up Christmas dinner for us.

-While we were deployed, the American Legion and the American Legion Auxiliary actively worked with our Family Readiness Group, helping families of deployed soldiers with everything from taxes to lawn mowing to sheep shearing.

-When we finally made it through out-processing and got home, we were greeted not only by our families, but by the American Legion and Operation Welcome Home.

Yes, these groups nationally lobby for veterans, and yes, each local post is different. But the things I've SEEN are what make these organizations important and meaningful today. I'm proud to be a member of both the AL and the VFW. Even though my time is limited now (the Army still keeps me pretty busy), and my participation is limited to dollars, once I've hung up my ACU's I'll be there to help keep these organizations going.

Just to add a little. The Marine Corps League Dose a toys for tots run every year.

We have a coller gaurd for any vetran being put to rest...

Thanks Russ

Yesterday I got a large envelope from the American Legion for my service. I didn’t even bother to open it up and it went into the recycling bin before I even got into the house.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest gruntboy

Thats a great question, I'm a veteran of "Operation Desert Shield Desert Storm" having served with the 10th Mountain Division. As soon as I seperated from the military I wanted to join the VFW. And I did. I was with them for a few years than I moved to a different county so I transfered to the local VFW there. I didn't last long there, a few months actually, and the reason I left the VFW altogther was because at my new post, they really didn't make me feel like I belonged. They just did little things, like not calling me to let me know a meeting had been cancelled, and showing up and waiting around, til someone send oh didn't they call you.."no meeting tonite".

So, now I really miss being around other vets, and sharing that common interest. Now I'll probably join the American Legion...and hopefully I'll find a home.

Thanks for listening,

Sean Healy

Triple Deuce

Do any of these fine organisations welcome Allied Veterans as members?

T-Bone

Not that I'm aware of unless there can be some assignment to a USA unit shown, I guess.

Too bad, really.

In addition to maintaining membership in the Sons of the American Revolution, I'm actively involved in an association composed of people who have ancestors that served in the 6th Georgia Cavalry Regiment, CSA. Last July we held our first get together to discuss who our ancestors were, and to share information regarding the regiment's role in the Civil War.

Our organization is not about reenacting, but rather focusing on documenting the history of the regiment, and the individual soldiers. In fact, we are in the planning stages for this July's reunion of decendants, and have discussed the possibility of expanding the association to include not only those with 6th GA Cavalry ties, but to the other GA regiments that composed the Georgia Brigade in General Joseph Wheeler's command.

Do you belong to the Sons of Confederate veterans? It's worth the money for the magazines alone IMHO. They also have very cool medals-like the Legion.

• 3 months later...

My Dad & my uncles were all eligible for AL or VFW, though none ever joined. - They had friends who did, but none of them were "joiners", whether it be a veterans organization or a freternal lodge. I did know plenty of WW2 & Korean War vet's who did, however. And many of them were friends of my Dad.

Fast forward to the 70's, I did choose to join both AL & VFW, eventually making opting for life membership in the VFW. All the time I was growing up, my hometown Legion post was very active with kids programs; Boys State, Legion baseball, and other civic activities. The majority of the real organizers and doers at that time were First World War veterans, though there were WW2 & Korean War guys getting far enough along in their lives that they could also put significant time into the efforts of the post. By the time I joined the AL post though, it was in a downward spiral in its effectiveness and membership numbers. Finally it closed, though if I'm not mistaken it did eventually merge with that of an adjacent city.

My initial draw to the VFW was for much the same reason as my original enlistment in the military; a gesture toward those of my age group that I held in disdain for their outright hostility to anything military. - And the drinks were cheap.

As I matured, I showed up less and less often. But I find now that my membership is for a much different personal reason. I do believe that the organizations can and do a lot of good for veterans and for others in need, be that for a variety of needs. I'm not much of a joiner either, just like my Dad, but I do feel like there is strength in numbers. Maybe not as effective as it was, or could be again. But I will support the organizations in thought and by voting, even if I'm not an "active" member in local functions.

Just my 2 cents worth. Thanks for posting the topic !

Best regards to all,

Paul Walker

• 1 month later...
rice paddy daddy

Yes, I belong to:

VFW, AMVETS (American Veterans), Vietnam Veterans of America, and The Society Of The Fifth Infantry Division.

I have been active in VFW, AMVETS, and VVA and held posts in all three ranging from Trustee to Post Commander.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been a member of the American Legion a couple of times - the first time when I moved I never gave it much thought to seek out a new club and like a lot of others my personal life took first place also my first wife thought it was nothing but a place to hang out and drink with my friends-- then as we get older we realize some of the thing that are important to us - some of the people I served with belonged to the local club so I joined since then I have served my club in many ways to include commander for 4 yrs -- service club are a good way to help your community and the many veterans who have served - sadly yes clubs are falling by the way side at a fast rate along with many of our WW2 veterans and if you do the math even our Vietnam vets are getting up in age so to keep these fine organizations going we need the help of all our young vets to step up to the plate and join and by belonging you help theses organizations fight for the rights of the vets - ok will step of my soap box for now :bye1:

Military Officers Association of America

Military Order of the Purple Heart

VFW Post 3708

I'm a life member of all.

I'm extremely proud of my military service and ejjoy the company of fellow patriotic Americans.

Cheers:

Paul

Salome. AZ

All,

Just a note on the drinking and smoking. I guess in my 27+ years in a uniform (68-96). I saw some major changes in the culture. When I came in if you didn't booze and smoke (either or), you didn't fit in. In that culture, everyone covered for everyone at one time or another, at least in the EM/NCO ranks. Can't speak for the comissioned guys. By 1996 when I punched as a CW-4, it had gone 180 degrees in the opposite direction. As for my membership in veteran's organizations here is my rundown:

VFW - Our little Gray Mannor post closed for lack of membership/participation

VVA - I quit because of the chain smoking of all things! As a reformed smoker, I can't stand to be around it anymore.

American Legion - Never joined and never will, based on the way my brother and I were treated by our local post after returning from Vietnam.

Military Order of the Purple Heart - Still active to some degree, more with the fundrasing/donation end of things.

SF Association - Let it lapse, too damn expensive, as stated in this thread there are cliques, and a whole ton of BS too.

Then again, I've never been a joiner either. Hell, I didn't even have/want a retirement shadow box, and gave my youngest one my full sized medals to play with. Honestly, when I retired, one door shut and another opened.

Anyway, that's my rundown.

John

I found the above comment very perceptive. It puts me in mind of my old platoon sgt, who having succumbed to the DTs during the Xmas holidays when the liquor ration was doubled, was banished to Bn HQ, where hw spent the last 18 months of his 20 years service making coffee for the SGM.

Having said that, I'd personally rather spend my spare time standing on my head on a cement floor than join a 'veteran's' organization--but that's just me.

• 4 weeks later...
19leatherneck68

The only one is the Marine Corps League but I only show up once in a blue moon for Sunday morning breakfast. Being self employed cuts into free time and besides I been accused on not playing well with others. I am not to enthusiastic about the civilian associated members because I don’t recall seeing them going thru BOOT! I was a Boy Scout throught ... if that counts!

I am a VFW member and proud that I was asked joined. After retiring from the service it is nice to know that there are organizations out there for the veterans. Although not as active right now as I wish I were, due to work, it is reassuring to know that I have comrades out there. It's not about the drinking or smoking, which I do neither of, but just knowing that there are brothers and sisters out there who have shared the same joys, pains, failures, and triumphs that I have, and that we can share our stories together.

Thank you all my fellow Forum Brothers and Sisters who serve, have served, or will serve in the future..

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr

US Army (retired) 84/05

• 4 weeks later...

Even though I duly registered for Selective Service when President Carter reinstituted it 1980, I never had the opportunity or honor to serve my country in the military. That, however, has not kept me from honoring my country's veterans in other ways.

I am a member of numerous heritage societies and joined them all as a way to honor both the service of my ancestors who served our country in war and to maintain their graves and monuments today as memorials to them. My memberships include the General Society of Colonial Wars, General Society of Sons of the Revolution/National Society Sons of the American Revolution (two separate groups), General Society of the War of 1812 (the bicentennial of this war is fast approaching), Descendants of Mexican War Veterans, Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States, Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, Sons of Confederate Veterans, Military Order of the Stars & Bars, Military Order of Foreign Wars of the United States, Naval Order of the United States, Sons of Spanish American War Veterans, and the United States Cavalry Association, among others.

Obviously, I don't have time to attend meeting for all of these organizations. Some I have attended regularly and gotten my hands dirty by setting government grave markers for veterans who may not have had one. My SUVCW camp has garnered recognition for the casualties of the Battle of Galveston in 1863, including LCDR Edward Lea, through a Texas State Historical Marker, and even ordered and set a Medal of Honor grave marker for Civil War veteran Sgt. George Robie, 7th NH Infantry, whose grave in Galveston was lacking any mention of his service. Attending this service were two Medal of Honor recipients: Roy Benavidez and Clarence Sasser, both of whom were shining examples of normal men who served their country above and beyond the call of duty. My camp also maintains the George McClellan GAR Post cemetery in Houston for the Union veterans buried there, including the only FEMALE member of the GAR, Sarah Emma Seelye.

In the organizations I don't regularly attend, I at least try to donate funds every year to assist in programs that preserve the history of our country's fighting men and women and also serve the needs of our current veterans by funding programs at local VA hospitals. It may not be much, but I feel that it helps me to do my part to assist our veterans to maintain the history of this country and a thankful country's gratitude for her sons and daughters who have done so much to preserve our liberty.