Have you ever thought to join a Veterans' Organization?

KevinBeyer

Manchu Warrior

I got this Legion magazine in the mail yesterday. The mailing cover on the magazine says that, "The American Legion needs you back." Honestly, I had forgotten that I was even a one time member of the American Legion. The reason I had forgotten was because when my National Guard unit was activated when the war in Iraq started the American Legion post near our Headquarters Company had a picnic for us and who ever was eligible for the American Legion at the time was given a paid one year membership. But, I never went to any legion events. I was eligible for the Legion because of my tour in Korea and also because I was awarded the Armed Forces Expeditionary medal for "Operation Desert Thunder", I know you never heard of it. If I look into it and believe it is worth my time and there is more to it they sitting around drinking beer, I don't drink, I might join.

post-1412-1222431083.jpg

Every Post is different, Manchu.

Some do spend most of their time in the bar. Some are VERY active in Boy's and Girl's State, oratory competitions, youth baseball, poppy day, parades, welcoming committee for returning GIs, helping with disasters etc.

Some do nothing whatsoever at all except wear c--t caps with a lot of pins and recite the Preamble once a month. My Post is of this latter type and it depresses the hell out of me. I hang in there for the sake of tradition, and to wait for the controllers to quit or die, frankly.

El Bibliotecario

Another negative about veteran's organizations--the obsolete USGI rifles they were given by the govt for ceremonial use, many of which have been recently returned to the CMP, are in HORRIBLE condition. I guess when it was time to clean weapons everyone suddenly got tired of playing soldier and went home.

I thought I'd add my two cents worth..I am a member of the American legion, the VFW, Sons of the American Revolution and the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War. In the VFW, I'm the current Senior Vice Commander, the Honor Guard Commander, the Service Officer, the Public Affairs Officer, Post Historian, and membership chairman..I'm the Vice president of my SAR Chapter, and the Senior Camp Commander of my SUVCW Chapter. These organizations are only going to be what you help make them! I became eligible for the VFW during teh first gulf war, but didn't join until 2001. Why? Because like a lot of people, I thought it was just a bunch of cranky old WWII guys guzzling beer, smoking their cigars and refighting the war - which was and is nothing close to reality. Do some guys do that? Sure - they earned the right to do it...but it doesn't mean that's all their is to it. I don't drink or smoke but then again, a lot of other members don't either. Among the many things the VFW does is help veterans get the benefits they're entitled to - I recently helped a WWII Purple heart recipient get his medals, and discovered that he never got any benefits from the VA..after completing a bunch of paperwork, he now stands to get 61 years worth of disability back pay..to teh tune of approx. $480,000. We also have active programs to care for our returning OEF/OIF vets...I've been able to help almost a dozen guardsmen pay their mortgages, get their cars fixed, and in one case, we were able to get $14,000 for an active duty TSgt's son to get a service dog to help with his autism. I won't even mention the countless funerals and other ceremonies we've done because the active duty Honor Guards can't keep up with the demand. In short, whether it's the VFW, DAv, American Legion, or whoever, all of these groups are chartered to help veterans and their communities. The ONLY way that's going to happen is if veterans get up and take the lead. And all of these groups have auxiliary groups, so if you don't meet the criteria, or never served, you can still make a difference!

'Nuff said!

Another negative about veteran's organizations--the obsolete USGI rifles they were given by the govt for ceremonial use, many of which have been recently returned to the CMP, are in HORRIBLE condition. I guess when it was time to clean weapons everyone suddenly got tired of playing soldier and went home.

That's not ALWAYS the case!!! My Post has 7 M-1 Garands that are in fantastic shape! We do regular maintenance on them and we use them all the time.

I'm a member of the Military Order of the Purple Heart, VFW, and VVA. I WILL NOT join the American Legion nor set foot in one! Both my brother and I were treated rather badly when we enquired about joining the AL years ago, so I want nothing to do with them!

John

Our Vietnam Veterans of America post is pretty active. We clean up the condoms, graffitti, needles, and other junk at the various memorials in the Baltimore area. I haven't been active for a couple of years (or active in anything for that matter) but, we used to do the color guard at the Raven's games. I don't think that's the case anymore, would have to call to find out. The only thing that really tears me up about VVA, at least in my case, is that so many of our members are rooted in 1968 in a lot of ways. Frankly, Vietnam was a PART of my life, not my life. Plus, being a reformed smoker, the chain smoking drives me nuts.

John

All,

I forgot one......... Polish War Veterans........... Since I'm the only member under about, say 80, I'm also the duty driver for these guys. The way I see that is that A. I'm helping out a fellow vet. B. I'm helping out society by keeping some of these guys off the road! LOL We have a member who still has his drivers permit, who if he isn't legally blind, is right up against it.

• 1 month later...

I joined both the VFW and American Legion about 3 years ago. I was originally going to join much earlier but some of the local posts around here apparently never had the time or cared to return my phone call inquiry about joining. They complain about bringing in "new blood" but can't find the time to return a simple phone call? think.gif

I recently let both memberships lapse due to many factors. The biggest one was the recent election and the one-sided views of both organizations. Some of the literature I received at both the national and local level read like something coming from the Republican National Committee. Some of the local members also turned me off with their attitude of..."if you vote for Obama or a Democrat you're unpatriotic". Give me a friggin break!

Either way...it'll be interesting to see how many members these organizations have lost because of all this.

John

I belong to the VFW and AL. Each post is a reflection of the members of that post not necessarily the national orginization, it is also a reflection of the local community that the members come from. Some posts do a lot of charity and community service projects, some just sit on their rump.

I find that belonging to those organizations as a good way to meet fellow veterans in my area, not to swap war stories but to just be with folks with a common thread. The post provides a number of events here in the community that serve a good purpose and I like being able to help make the small town I live in just a little bit better. Being in the VFW is not just about you as some may think.

Through my VFW membership I have been able to meet a good number of WWII veterans whose story I would have never known had I not been a member. As a collector meeting those guys was very rewarding.

No matter what sort of organization you belong to you only get out of it what you put into it. If you do not put any effort in don't expect to get anything out of being a member.

I belong to the VFW and AL. Each post is a reflection of the members of that post not necessarily the national orginization, it is also a reflection of the local community that the members come from. Some posts do a lot of charity and community service projects, some just sit on their rump.

I find that belonging to those organizations as a good way to meet fellow veterans in my area, not to swap war stories but to just be with folks with a common thread. The post provides a number of events here in the community that serve a good purpose and I like being able to help make the small town I live in just a little bit better. Being in the VFW is not just about you as some may think.

Through my VFW membership I have been able to meet a good number of WWII veterans whose story I would have never known had I not been a member. As a collector meeting those guys was very rewarding.

No matter what sort of organization you belong to you only get out of it what you put into it. If you do not put any effort in don't expect to get anything out of being a member.

Well said with some very good points!

I know of a few vets organizations outside my area that do wonderful things for the community and are extremely active. Then you have some of the ones which only care about eating & drinking with their fellow buddies and frown on those young outsiders joining their exclusive "club".

I think some of these local disfunctional groups had better change or else there won't be anyone left to take the reigns.

John

I do agree that there certainly are differences in Veteran Organizations from place to place. Some are active and some are set in their ways and pretty stodgy. I also agree that what you get out of such an organization largely depends upon what you put into it.

I guess one of the things to consider is the nature of volunteer organizations. Volunteers run these organizations and make up the membership. They are difficult to heard on one direction or another and leadership has to be willing to go the extra mile in order to make things happen. I put off cleaning my own guns when I shoot them, getting a funeral detail or honor guard to clean them really requires some browbeating. You can't put them in the brig! ermm.gif

I attended a gun show this morning at an area VFW hall and the members turned out on Sunday to cook and serve a great breakfast for a money maker and there were lots of members there to help. This operation seemed to be functioning just fine, so it depends upon the specific group it seems. thumbsup.gif

Interesting! There's a legion post named after Jimi Hendirix and Janis Joplin. Also, all gay posts and prison based posts.

Also interesting that a generation so accepting of recreational alcoholism should be so against drugs. The drug culture of the sixtes was an exact copy of the mainstream american culture's attitude towards alcohol. Remember the Liquortoons comic strip?

bigredone quote, Obviously he knows nothing about Veterans Organisations or has no desire to learn. As a life member of both the VFW and American Legion what would be wrong if the Post membership wanted to name their Post after Janis Joplin or Jimmy Hendrix it's their Post. I do not believe any part of his garbage is true but it can easily be researched by going to the organizations web sites. Posts names and locations are available at these sites. While otherwise eligible veterans who have been convicted of crimes can be excluded from membership, it is up to the Post membership to vote whether they will be. Veterans organisations realise veterans have problems that is why we support veterans rehabs, veterans hospitals and legislation helping veterans

VFW web site: http://www.vfw.org/

American Legion web site: http://www.legion.org/homepage.php

[Comments deleted by Kevin Beyer (Moderator). I know I should have deleted comments in previous posts by other members, but they slipped by me. Forgive an old man if you can.]

All along this thread I've been thinking to say, too, that Posts all go through phases of growth over the decades... sometimes up, and sometimes not. There appear to be all kinds of reasons for this such as whichever set of officers is in control during a given period, and how a local Post membership is or is not (usually not, sad to say) supported during hard times by their District or Department officers. Local economics can play a significant role too... such as in smaller towns where industry packs up and leaves.

Many times the ones who end up being officers (key ones being Commander, Adjutant and Judge Advocate) get elected to those positions basically by default - because nobody else put themselves in the running. Department elections (at least in Missouri) are usually decided by electing whichever guy had the stamina to visit the most District and local Posts. I don't recall seeing any real competitive campaigns down at the local level, though at the time of the actual annual meeting I suppose the alternative candidates put on their best game face.

Once they are in office, it has been my experience that the officers do whatever is necessary to "keep the lid on" and leave office unscathed, without actually asserting much, if any, authority at the local level, even in crisis situations. The national organization does seem to try being of assistance, to its credit. But, down the echelons their decisions or offers can easily be blocked or simply ignored by any number of lower ranking officers... without recourse.

For whatever reasons, I am not sure (in the case of the Legion) that the national office really "gets" the fact that at local levels a LOT of vets have been treated (in their opinion) rather shabbily when first coming to a Post. I remain a Life Member, though not as active as I'd like to be, simply because I regard it as my duty to continue the traditions of these organizations... and I am, one might say, hanging out on "recon", waiting for the situation to change for the better - after having made a 2+ year effort to change it myself. If I can't beat 'em, maybe I can outlast 'em? ;)

Our Post and District are composed almost exclusively of WWII and Korea vets. I cannot think of more than 5 VN era members, and only 2 Desert Storm. Other Posts may be quite different, but this is what we are dealing with here... and it is troubling because the "hand-off" is not happening as it should.

In our area, the VFW Post on the other hand, is alive and well and thriving... so, one has to assume that there are some Legion "personalities being put before principles" somewhere.

Our Post and District are composed almost exclusively of WWII and Korea vets. I cannot think of more than 5 VN era members, and only 2 Desert Storm. Other Posts may be quite different, but this is what we are dealing with here... and it is troubling because the "hand-off" is not happening as it should.

Try being a member of the VFW from a war no one really knew we were in. ;) According to the records I have been able to find there were less than 5000 of us total over a ten year period.

This may be a silly question but I'm just wondering if you have to be a veteran or served to join the Legion in the States? I've been a member of the Royal Canadian Legion for almost 21 years now. I'm not a vet, nor have I served thanks to the drunk driver that almost killed me when I was 3 and a half months away from basic. Up here I'm an associate member based on my Grandfathers service in WWII.

Dale

This may be a silly question but I'm just wondering if you have to be a veteran or served to join the Legion in the States? I've been a member of the Royal Canadian Legion for almost 21 years now. I'm not a vet, nor have I served thanks to the drunk driver that almost killed me when I was 3 and a half months away from basic. Up here I'm an associate member based on my Grandfathers service in WWII.

Dale

Yes.

You must have served in uniform within specific official dates of wars since WWI, but not necessarily assigned in-country/overseas.

VFW is basically the same, except you must have served in-country somewhere during those periods.

I joined the Am. Legion almost immediately after my return from Iraq in 2003, and have enjoyed most of it. Amazed at some of the political machinations in a VOLUNTEER organization, but I suppose at least some of that is a function of egos. Things in my Post changed significantly this past election cycle (in the summer...) when a popular Commander was voted out based on a WW2 vet's run for office, and "fleshing out" the vote with members who haven't been to a meeting in years - somebody commented above on that maneuver. But, they're paid members, and that's the way the rules work. And, all of this in a Post with an "interest" in gaining younger membership, but little activity - either volunteer or to recruit the young vets. I made some efforts to find out about the variety of things a Post should be doing for community/veteran support, but it was/is basically a beer drinking Post...For my 2 cents, what MIGHT get the young guys (and GALS!) interested in joining is an program active in any/some/all of the variety of ways that the Legion is designed to benefit vets, beyond drinking beer.

A friend and I took our Post's M1s to the range one day - they'd been allowed to sit too long with NO TLC. Even after cleaning, some had a rusty bore; after 8 rounds of M2, THAT problem was solved and the rifles cleaned thoroughly and were put away "to standard!" We had about 15 active members (before the maneuver I described above), on a roll of 200+, and NO color guard. What a shame. Despite my beefs with MY Post, I remain a member there, even after moving across the country - haven't found a Post here that's active, either (in fairness, I haven't looked very hard, either).

Despite my beefs with my Post, this year I used my "bully pulpit" within our BN to encourage the Soldiers, of any rank, to join either the VFW or Legion after we got home. The organizations are too important to all vets for us, as a younger generation, to let them turn into "last man standing" organizations. As the WW2 generation dies off (I hate saying that, but it's a sad fact) there are precious few of us eligible for either organization, and membership numbers (and respect on Capitol Hill) will decline if there's not some "draw" for young vets to join-up (and by young, I'm thinking of the 20 year old veterans coming home from the desert). It's interesting how the definition of "young" gets applied - to a 55+ y/o VN vet, I'm young at 38...

Dale, a person could join the Sons of the Am. Legion based on his father's/grandfather's service, per http://www.sal.legion.org/.

This is/has been a VERY interesting thread, with a variety of opinions and experiences considerately expressed. Thanks to all who've participated!

An example of what an active post will be involved in -

http://www.dailycorinthian.com/

Program provides comfort for local service members

By Jebb Johnston

Staff Writer

Rickey Pope continues working to keep the military mail bag full. The founder of "Project Package" currently has a list of some 400 names of service members who receive care packages through the program, which grew from a need he saw while providing family assistance as a civilian employee of the Mississippi National Guard.

"I saw a lot of soldiers not receiving packages while deployed," said Pope,a retired master sergeant of 30 years. "And every time I would go out somewhere, people would ask me how we can support our soldiers."

Thus the program was born in mid-2004 to provide comfort from home for locals serving in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"In the first month, we mailed 21 packages," said Pope. "Within three months, we had over 300 names on the list, and we've been mailing ever since."

Just paying for the postage is a challenge for some families, he said. The flat-rate mailing box helps, but it now costs almost $10 per package and about $2,500 per month. It is anticipated that future deployments could push mailing costs beyond $100,000 per year. Pope expected Project Package to run its course within a year or two.

"They keep sending soldiers over there," he said. "Our motto is, Until they all come home.'"

Soldiers from 49 towns in Mississippi have received monthly packages through the program.

Items recommended for the packages include batteries, unscented baby wipes, flip flops, toothpaste and Pop Tarts. Donations may be dropped at VFW Post 3962 on Purdy School Road.

Supporters of the program recently gathered at City Hall as Mayor Jerry Latch offered a proclamation of support. The Corinth Police Department's Charles Howie was one of the recipients of packages through the program.

"That's one of the things we loved was mail call," said Howie. "It meant a lot to us."

Periodic fund-raisers are held to aid the effort. The VFW post has just wrapped up a "Boston Butt sale," and others may be forthcoming.

If you are eligible to join the VFW or the American Legion and haven’t done so or have let your membership lapse….. shame on you. These organizations have a voice and lobby to preserve veterans benefits at the national level. This is the time to join…. with politicians in office that never served a day in their life are willing to take away with the stroke of a pen what we earned with our sweat and blood. If you don’t care about your benefits think about the guys that might need these benefits for education or for prosthetics….. think that it can’t happen? crying.gif

If you are eligible to join the VFW or the American Legion and haven’t done so or have let your membership lapse….. shame on you. These organizations have a voice and lobby to preserve veterans benefits at the national level. This is the time to join…. with politicians in office that never served a day in their life are willing to take away with the stroke of a pen what we earned with our sweat and blood. If you don’t care about your benefits think about the guys that might need these benefits for education or for prosthetics….. think that it can’t happen? crying.gif

I respectfully disagree with you on this issue. I got into many a heated debate with some local VFW members who would make comments like "Obama never served in uniform" and that "voting for a democrat was unpatriotic". I would then point out John McCain's appalling and shameful voting records on veterans benefits as well as the overall voting record of many of his fellow Republicans in congress. Of course many of them refuse to research the voting records of elected officials and prefer to just go through life as a "low information voter". I'm confused as to why some vets organizations would endorse a candidate or party which historically votes against their own self-interests? Voting for someone based solely on whether or not they served in uniform is just plain wrong. thumbdown.gif

I don't mean to get into a big pissing contest about politics so I'll just leave it at that. While I don't share some views on this subject I do respect everyone's opinion. The politics issue is just one of several concerns I have with the VFW and legion, especially at the local level. When they start welcoming some of the younger vets into the organization maybe I'll change my mind.

John