Officer's AEF Service Coat. 28th Div. 111th Inf. Rgmt. Capt. R.S. Cain

I haven't posted any of my WW1 uniforms in a while so I thought I'd share my second favorite US WW1 uniform with you.

This is the uniform of Captain Robert S Cain of the 111th Infantry. His Citation reads:

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross to Captain (Infantry) Robert S. Cain, United States Army, for extraordinary heroism in action while serving with 111th Infantry Regiment, 28th Division, A.E.F., in the Bois-de-Chateau-Diable, west of Fismette, August 11 - 12, 1918. Armed with a Chauchat rifle, Captain Cain personally led the advance elements of the line, driving the enemy before him and clearing the above forest south of the railroad and north of the Vesle River, along the Reims-Rouen road. By personally exposing himself on the railroad, he maintained liaison at great personal risk. In all of this, he displayed sterling qualities of leadership and fearlessness beyond that required to perform the duties of his office.

General Orders: War Department, General Orders No. 37 (1919)

Action Date: August 11 - 12, 1918

Service: Army

Regiment: 111th Infantry Regiment

Division: 28th Division, American Expeditionary Forces

Not much I can add to this man's description. His uniform is in wonderful shape and came with the jacket, Sam Brown belt, breeches, belt and his medals.

post-131982-0-00584800-1470626865_thumb.jpg

The medals. The DSC is numbered but alas I am typing this in bed and the medal is in my war room and I don't remember it. I'll have to post that tomorrow.

post-131982-0-54116600-1470627152_thumb.jpg

Now this is really a cool group, and how great to have the medals also!! Do you happen to have a photo or any paperwork on the Cpt. ? Was he a company commander in the 111th all the way through the war? Just think what a role he played in his company right through the thick of the fighting. I loved too the way the DSC citation made reference to his carrying a Chauchat! That's just like Sam Woodfill, ,the Medal of Honor winner ,who carried the '03 to take out German machine gunners!!

David

• 6 months later...

What is the number on your DSC?

My grandfather (William J Nixon) was awarded the DSC for the same battle on the same dates. He was a medic with the 111th. His DSC is numbered #3380.

post-2967-0-11238100-1486998229.jpg

This is an image of some 28th Division soldiers receiving their DSC's in France right after the war. My grandfather, Pvt. William J. Nixon is the 9th one in line. He is the tallest one and he is standing right in front of who I believe, is General Pershing.

post-2967-0-56803400-1486998985.jpg