Help in understanding AAF order spec numbers etc

littlebuddy

littlebuddy

Can you determine the date of a AAF item from its number alone ?

I have come across 2 main types of number those beginning with prefix 8300 and those beginning with W as a prefix to 3 and 5

Many thanks

LB

Simple answer is No!

The 8300 you speak of is the Class of the equipment which in this case is Class--83 Aeronautical Materials, Spare Parts and Equipment. This is used for stock numbers, all items will have a stock class.

The other number sequence your referencing is a contract numbering system. W= War Department followed by 535, you were short in your post the number 5. 535 reflects that procurement was executed through the USAAF Material Command, Wright Field Ohio. All procurement agencies and districts will have a designated code prefix. This prefix was changed to 33-038 in the fiscal year 1944 and similar codes for all procurement agencies. 33= Wright Field and 038= Material Command. The only way you could use these numbering systems for dating an item in any way would be the contract prefixes and only in a very generic sense, All you would be able to determine is that any prefix with 535 was awarded on contract prior to July-1 1943 and 33-038 after July-1 1943 that's it. Hope this helps.

littlebuddy

Dustin , thank you very much for clearing up this subject , it has been an ongoing argument i have had for some time with another collector !

im sorry iwas short in the original post , i knew what i wanted to say but struggled trying to write the explanation down

many many thanks again

Carl

littlebuddy

Your welcome! Those are the facts Jack and hopefully your collector associate can come to the light.

He has no choice now Dustin !! :D

Thank you once again for the invaluable assistance