The Ultimate Souvenir Hunter- Pacific Theater

CNY Militaria

CNY Militaria

Just obtained this group from the ultimate souvenir hunter in the Pacific Theater during WWII. I occasionally see an item or two brought back, but this one takes the cake.

This Soldier was a field artilleryman serving in the 902nd Field Artillery of the 77th Infantry Division. He served on Okinawa and in Guam, and was wounded. Another Soldier from the Division's Casualty Company boxed up his personal effects and mailed them home to what I assume to be a girlfriend, friend, or relative.
Within this time capsule is his uniform, shirt, and trousers, officially government engraved Purple Heart, two rolled unit photos, and lot's of souvenirs: Damaged Japanese helmet, burned flag pieces, currency, sandals, talismans, a huge flag with Japanese writing, books and military manuals, a paint brush, silk art piece, and more.

DSCN6311.jpg

I wonder if he got those combs from somewhere else? They dont look Japanese. They almost look like they came from New Guinea.

Kurt

CNY Militaria

I wonder if he got those combs from somewhere else? They dont look Japanese. They almost look like they came from New Guinea.

Kurt

Perhaps, or maybe in the Philippines somewhere!

Pretty neat stuff. Was the address on the box a Webster, NY address? That's close to me. Dansville NY is a bit further away. That helmet took quite a hit. Strange looking break though.

CNY Militaria

Pretty neat stuff. Was the address on the box a Webster, NY address? That's close to me. Dansville NY is a bit further away. That helmet took quite a hit. Strange looking break though.

Yes, and the group came from out of Webster recently. Not sure how it started and ended there, unless it went with family. Everything looked untouched since the war.