uss maine cannon, Michigan

trenchrat1918

trenchrat1918

Hello everyone, I thought I would share some pictures from my walk yesterday. Sitting in front of our town hall sits the Spanish American War memorial which happens to be a cannon from the USS Maine. In 1912 Congressman George Loud petitioned the US Navy for a 'Loan of a piece of naval ordinance of historic significance' on behalf of the city of Alpena, Michigan, 1912 happened to be the year that the navy raised the Maine. May 19,1912 the 6 inch gun from Maine arrived in Alpena and the gun was unveiled on Independence day to a crowd of over 7000 people. Alpena is now the only city in the US with a gun from the USS Maine. Most people just walk by the old cannon without paying any attention to this memorial and significant piece of American history.

post-160250-0-10609900-1470578079_thumb.jpg

Extraordinary. No telling what is out there that was thought was lost. Careful, the Navy might just want it back in their hands, and they are relentless.

Superb piece of American history.

Thank you for posting.

Extraordinary. No telling what is out there that was thought was lost. Careful, the Navy might just want it back in their hands, and they are relentless.

Superb piece of American history.

Thank you for posting.

. Lol. Actually, all Naval ordnance remains the property of the Navy for ever. It is "Loaned". I was 1st LT for CINCLANTFLT. We had two old cannons that had been captured from the Spanish at Caviti during the SpanAm War. These were muzzle loaders dated 1753. We had "Custody Cards" and had to report their location to COMMAVORD annually

Salvage Sailor

. Lol. Actually, all Naval ordnance remains the property of the Navy for ever. It is "Loaned". I was 1st LT for CINCLANTFLT. We had two old cannons that had been captured from the Spanish at Caviti during the SpanAm War. These were muzzle loaders dated 1753. We had "Custody Cards" and had to report their location to COMMAVORD annually

C'mon Steve,

We know you sent a request up the ladder for powder bags and balls to "test" them.....