This 1904 pattern Field Coat was worn by Bernard Richcreek, He enlisted in the Marines in 1906, and was assigned to the Marine Barracks at Norfolk, Virginia. He served aboard the USS Louisiana and North Carolina. In January of 1909, he boarded the USS Prairie and was sent to Guantanamo, Cuba during the Cuban Pacification campaign. He was promoted to the rank of corporal while in Cuba, and received his discharge from the Marines in 1910.

post-203-0-77885700-1470526217.jpg

post-203-0-46002000-1470526223_thumb.jpg

He was discharged while in Cuba and immediately enlisted into the U.S. Navy. He served with the Navy through World War I, receiving the rank of Master At Arms First Class and was discharged in 1919.

Searching the web, I found Richcreek's grandson who had a genealogy webpage. I have corresponded with him and hope to be able to learn more about his Grandfather.

This image of Richcreek's USN Good Conduct medal is taken form the grandson's website.

post-203-0-12877200-1470526513.gif

Special thanks to the Colonel's Cache from whom I was able to purchase this coat and Alec Tulkoff for helping me with the various uniform regs!

• 3 weeks later...

One interesting bit about Richcreek's service with the Marines; while he was in Cuba, he was promoted to acting sergeant and assigned to the MPs. Within two weeks of his appointment, he received a warning for "show of undue emotion, which appeared to be disrespectful to the Commanding Officer." On the same day, he was reduced back to the rank of corporal for "Careless handling of police work."

post-203-0-66289400-1472050259_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Searching through Newspapers.com, I was fortunate to find a photo of Richcreek published in June 1910, just a few months after he joined the Navy.

post-203-0-66706700-1515903066.jpg

Nice find Erick! Was his full name Walter Bernard Richcreek? I think I found the same website you mentioned by his grandson, but not sure of that. Is the uniform identified in some way? I also looked on FindaGrave but didn't find him. Any idea where he is buried? Nice to see another Hoosier artifact come back home again!(pun Intended).

Nice find Erick! Was his full name Walter Bernard Richcreek? I think I found the same website you mentioned by his grandson, but not sure of that. Is the uniform identified in some way? I also looked on FindaGrave but didn't find him. Any idea where he is buried? Nice to see another Hoosier artifact come back home again!(pun Intended).

Thanks Steve, that is him He enlisted under the name Bernard Richcreek and I believe he was living in New York when he passed away. The coat is stamped "B RICHCREEK."

post-203-0-80619900-1515986896_thumb.jpg

post-203-0-22889400-1515986784.gif