Just an observation

Lawdog

easterneagle87

I got "banned" on the WAf by sking only a few questions. I didn't even know I had been disqualified, and then when I went to ask someone why, they never got back back to me or posted why. Still baffles me.

dhcoleterracina

I've been here and on the WAF for nearly ten years. I've found everyone very helpful here, especially when I post an item out of my expertise and in turn I try to be helpful in areas where I can contribute.

I have encountered difficult and rude people on the WAF but they are easily ignored. What I have seen on a daily basis is the posting of items by the "regulars" and the posts that follow praise the item. This is fine and most of the regulars know their stuff. However, an item posted by a regular can on occasion (IMO) be questionable. If a non regular member expresses concern then get ready for WW3 to start as they circle the wagons and protect each other. Likewise, if a non regular posts an item then they are more likely to condemn the item. Finally I have seen threads from the WAF posted on dealer sites to aid in the sale and make buyers feel more comfortable. Everyone on the WAF had positive things to say about this ultra rare piece of headgear so it must be good...right? hmmmmmmmmmm.

To the orignal poster

Try posting it on jref.com in the Translation section

I've posted there a few times and I usually always get a response within 24 hours

vintageproductions

I got "banned" on the WAf by sking only a few questions. I didn't even know I had been disqualified, and then when I went to ask someone why, they never got back back to me or posted why. Still baffles me.

In the moderator section there is nothing about you being banned, in fact there is nothing about you.

You may want to contact Dave Suter as he is the super Mod over there and can tell you what is going on with your account.

• 4 weeks later...

What the OP experienced is just common human nature. Cliches form in any club, hobby, workplace. The "old timer" attitude starts to rear it's head after a person has posted a few hundred replies, and visits the forum daily. Once there are 4-5 people like that, they will try to dominate the club, and support each other so they can feel important.

Once you realize this, and if you are always polite and only stick to fact based debates, you can live in the club easier. Basically, if someone tries to post in the clear, or via PM, admonishing me for "asking for a free translation" I would simply say, "thanks for your opinion, but I'll probably find someone who doesn't mind." Then I would not engage in the troll ever again. No back and forths, no debating intent or personality. Ignore them....and they cannot fight. After a while if they continue to pester you, they look like crotchety old men, jumping up and down screaming.

But there are certain topics you cannot bring up on most forums. Many disallow political commentary. Some have unwritten rules about what the majority of members like. If you try to go there anyway, you're going to get ganged up on. If you were breaking no rules, the person that scolded you is just a bitter wacko.

I went to a business here in my hometown that was a Japanese owned company. There were several Japanese executives working there. I took a flag out there to see if they could help me. Three Japanese men came out to look at the flag with a huge book....like a dictionary. They did not speak the same dialect as their grandfathers did during WWII but with that book they were able to translate the words. They were very nice guys to deal with. In fact they were very intrigued with my flag.

Ronnie

I've got a WWII Soviet Leica copy camera, engraved on the bottom. I got a Russian friend in Moscow to translate it (it was an award to a train station engineer, who rushed the building of a station ahead of the Nazis). Most people that have "been there, done that" are nice and want to help. A lot of "wannabe" warriors and "uber collector" experts on the internet can act rude because no one can jerk a knot in their head. Just ignore them.

"One rotten apple can spoil a bushel" ----------USMF is my military forum of choice. Mostly 99.9% good guys. But every so often a Bozo shows up. Same on any forum including WAF. I have had some really good experiences there including translations. I have an interest in WWII Luftwaffe Honor Goblets. Just yesterday a WAF member from Holland sent me transalations of 2 letters of a Goblet recipient I own AND three pics of my man at a party celebrating the award of his Goblet in 1940. No charge - no BS - just one collector to another. Sharing is half the fun. Bobgee

I will say that WAF is my go to place when German or Japanese items come in, usually from vets families. Overall it's been a good experience, but they have lots and lots of rules and it's easily to get tripped up by that.

German militaria is all about authenticity and I think WAF members will generally provide you with a good assessment of your goods.

WAF is fairly straightforward just be prepared for your item to be scrutinized ,especially if that were your goal. You can find some unfriendly sorts anywhere...ignore them and go ahead.