Just an observation

Lawdog

Fellow collectors,

A few days ago, I commented on another members post regarding the translation of Japanese writing on a rising sun flag, asking if the original poster could point me in the right direction regarding the possible translation of several WW2 era Japanese letters that were brought home by a CBI C47 pilot. These letters are part of a larger groupig that I have and are the only mystery of the lot. Well, this member very graciously suggested that I try the WAF Japanese militaria section. Sooooo...I posted photos of several of the letters and asked if anybody might be able to help translate as I had thus far run out of options and had reached several dead ends. This was a last resort effort on my part. What I received in return was a rather sharp dressing down, accusing me of being incredibly rude and looking for free work and a curt suggestion that I do my own research because "nobody translates for free." What followed was a back and forth exchange where I was lectured like a 6 year old until I finally grew tired of it all. Apparently I didn't realize that the WAF membership charged for their help. Silly me!

My point to this story is, that in all the years that I have been a member of THIS forum, I have always been willing to assist other collectors with information, valuations, and opinions regarding a multitude of items, and have ALWAYS been met with likewise courtesy and cooperation. This forum is a place for all of us to increase our knowledge and understanding of what is clearly one of this worlds greatest conflicts. Each of us has expertise to share, and we all learn from each other. I just wanted to say how appreciative I am to all the members of the US Militaria Forum for the way they conduct themselves. Not once have I ever been dressed down or berated over a topic or posting. Friendly ball busting is one thing and I can give as good as I get. But there is never cause for the likes of the treatment that I received on WAF from one specific member. If I ever want to be lectured like a 6 year old again, I'll just go home to the folks for Thanksgiving dinner. At least there, I know what to expect!

Gary "Lawdog" Underhill

The Meatcan

The WAF can be a real minefield. While there is some great stuff there with knowledgeable members, that site can also demonstrate the worst side of the internet.

Terry

Patchcollector

Without going into detail I had a few similar experiences and all I'm going to say is that the USMF is by far the best Forum I've found.The members here are courteous and helpful.Now I only venture to other places when absolutely necessary.

The WAF has had a reputation for surliness for quite a while. A number of the Imperial German collectors (and others) left it to go to the Gentlemen's Military Interest Club, where the rules of the house specify that flame wars were not acceptable behavior. The GMIC and the US Militaria Forum are far better mannered than WAF. Everyone cooperates for the common good. Those who read unusual languages translate gratis, and those with access to data freely share it. It works best if everyone understands the effects of karma. (I should note that I'm a former WAF moderator)

I was unaware of the Gentlemen's Military Interest Club. Thank you for mentioning them. If nothing else, we can refer our members there when they have questions about foreign militaria.

suwanneetrader

I have found the Canadian Forum Members to be helpful and nice (even on other UK items)

link is http://www.cdnmilitarycollectors.com/

Also it has been years since I have found a very old and very good Japanese sword but the Japanese Sword Collectors were very helpful both with info and paying good amounts; I no longer have their link but it was named -- Nihonto Mesage Board

Hope these two help you to find nice people to help in answering your non- US questions.

Richard I always try to be a nice and truthful person.

Over the years, I have read several militaria collectors forums including WAF. My personal experience has been that forums who cater to Nazi collectors tend to have some members who have an "attitude", that includes rudeness and can be downright mean. I have stayed away from those ever since I discovered USMF almost 10 years ago. There are other forums that maintain a civil attitude and personal attacks are forbidden, such as most of the British oriented forums. There is no need to be a a--hole on a forum. Heck there is enough of that crap out in the everyday world.

That's a real shame what happened to the OP. I'm a member at WAF and have translated Polish items on occasion without ever thinking to charge anything for it. I did the same for some USMF members as well. I figured someday I'd need something translated and a member would kindly help me as I did. I'll be wary now on WAF.

I think we have a good give and take on this forum due to the persistence and perseverance of the mods and administrators. I offer them a sincere Thank You!!

I have found the Canadian Forum Members to be helpful and nice (even on other UK items)

link is http://www.cdnmilitarycollectors.com/

Also it has been years since I have found a very old and very good Japanese sword but the Japanese Sword Collectors were very helpful both with info and paying good amounts; I no longer have their link but it was named -- Nihonto Mesage Board

Hope these two help you to find nice people to help in answering your non- US questions.

Richard I always try to be a nice and truthful person.

Yeah, you'll find almost all of us are super polite....almost every sentence you hear a Canadian speak will have the words "please", "thank you" or "excuse me" in it :) .....and almost every sentence ends with "eh" ;)

....and thanks for the heads up on the Canadian forum Richard, I had no idea there was one, eh :)

Rick

Garandomatic

Can you pm them? I only have a few pieces, but I've got an interest after repeatedly watching that Churchill documentary on Netflix when i had pneumonia in June!

I haven't read this whole thread but would try Facebook there are plenty of people who will translate things such as flags and other items. I am getting ready to look for someone to translate a Iraqi helmet that was brought back from Desert Storm.

You might also try local colleges. They may have someone of Japanese ancestry or fluent in the language on their faculty. Good luck!

vintageproductions

For the most part, most Japanese born after WWII have a hard time reading this older style of characters. You need to find an older person or someone who specialized in the language in college, in Japan.

Fellow collectors,

A few days ago, I commented on another members post regarding the translation of Japanese writing on a rising sun flag, asking if the original poster could point me in the right direction regarding the possible translation of several WW2 era Japanese letters that were brought home by a CBI C47 pilot. These letters are part of a larger groupig that I have and are the only mystery of the lot. Well, this member very graciously suggested that I try the WAF Japanese militaria section. Sooooo...I posted photos of several of the letters and asked if anybody might be able to help translate as I had thus far run out of options and had reached several dead ends. This was a last resort effort on my part. What I received in return was a rather sharp dressing down, accusing me of being incredibly rude and looking for free work and a curt suggestion that I do my own research because "nobody translates for free." What followed was a back and forth exchange where I was lectured like a 6 year old until I finally grew tired of it all. Apparently I didn't realize that the WAF membership charged for their help. Silly me!

My point to this story is, that in all the years that I have been a member of THIS forum, I have always been willing to assist other collectors with information, valuations, and opinions regarding a multitude of items, and have ALWAYS been met with likewise courtesy and cooperation. This forum is a place for all of us to increase our knowledge and understanding of what is clearly one of this worlds greatest conflicts. Each of us has expertise to share, and we all learn from each other. I just wanted to say how appreciative I am to all the members of the US Militaria Forum for the way they conduct themselves. Not once have I ever been dressed down or berated over a topic or posting. Friendly ball busting is one thing and I can give as good as I get. But there is never cause for the likes of the treatment that I received on WAF from one specific member. If I ever want to be lectured like a 6 year old again, I'll just go home to the folks for Thanksgiving dinner. At least there, I know what to expect!

Gary "Lawdog" Underhill

I just seen the post on WAF and the points of interest that were pointed out look very interesting and I can't wait to see a full translation. I hope things go easier.