USN Dolphin question

Just acquired a WW2 through Cold War era USN group. The guy started his career on the USS New Orleans, is a Pearl Harbor Survivor, and finnished as a Chief Yeoman on the USS Cobbler 30 years later. Just got his St. Louis record back, and see no submarine qualification badge on his record for USS Cobbler, nor was there a badge in his lot. My question for you sub vets, is a Yeoman on a submarine in the 1950's, in a billet that will or will not qualify him for a dolphin? Thanks in advance.

In order to get your dolphins you have to complete the qualifications. When I was on subs (1999-2007) that meant showing proficient knowledge on all systems, doing checkouts, qualifying a watch station, and passing a final board which normally consisted of an E-5/E-6, chief, and an officer. It was mandatory for all submariners (including yeomen) to complete their submarine warfare quals.

I'm guessing that if this guy had been in for 30+ years before going to his first sub that they probably didn't make him get his dolphins. When I was in all the yeomen I served with had been sub volunteers since they entered the navy. This guy may have been on his way out of the navy and they needed him to fill a billet on the Cobbler until a submarine yeomen could replace him.

There are many scenarios that could put this guy on a sub for a short period of time without him actually earning his dolphins.