BULLET MOLDS - COUPLE UNKNOWN

firefighter

firefighter

I found some information on this. CW Colt 49 bullet mold.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

》》》》》

Crude mold. Marked '120' on a handle

Posted ImagePosted Image

》 》 》

Handle marked 'No 837'

Posted Image

Posted Image

》 》 》 》

Posted ImagePosted Image

firefighter

Thanks. Ya they are pretty cool. The information on the top one was from an eBay listing, so not sure how accurate the iso is. The cruder looking one is light and I think that is a snipper for trimming the top?

• 1 year later...

Hello- I wonder if mold #837 is not made for one of the Dimick rifles made for the Birge's Western Sharpshooters. Dimick was a St Louis maker of plains rifles and he had a contract to provide 1000 of these rifles. Several other St Louis makers also helped with this contract. Each rifle was given a serial number. These rifles were of various calibers, so each came with its own mold, numbered to match the rifle. BWSS became the 66th Illinois. The bullets cast by these molds do not fit any US or CS pattern, and for a long time CW relic hunters thought them of Confederate issue. I have several of these bullets, picked up on sites where the 66th fought. No two of these bullets are the same and there was a wide range of caliber. I have to ask if this mold would be for sale?

Illinigander

Hello- I wonder if mold #837 is not made for one of the Dimick rifles made for the Birge's Western Sharpshooters. Dimick was a St Louis maker of plains rifles and he had a contract to provide 1000 of these rifles. Several other St Louis makers also helped with this contract. Each rifle was given a serial number. These rifles were of various calibers, so each came with its own mold, numbered to match the rifle. BWSS became the 66th Illinois. The bullets cast by these molds do not fit any US or CS pattern, and for a long time CW relic hunters thought them of Confederate issue. I have several of these bullets, picked up on sites where the 66th fought. No two of these bullets are the same and there was a wide range of caliber. I have to ask if this mold would be for sale?

Illinigander

Hello. Thank you for the information. I no longer have the molds

OK-Thanks, Firefighter, one always has to try. I do have one of the Dimick molds but it has been slightly modified.

Illinigander

I know this is not on point but I picked up a bullet mold like the one in the first photo, It seems to have no markings whatsoever. If there were very worn markings I think I'd see at least a trace - but nothing. Is that out of the ordinary? Again, sorry for the hijacking.

OK-Thanks, Firefighter, one always has to try. I do have one of the Dimick molds but it has been slightly modified.

Illinigander

YOure welcome. Sorry I couldn’t help out

I know this is not on point but I picked up a bullet mold like the one in the first photo, It seems to have no markings whatsoever. If there were very worn markings I think I'd see at least a trace - but nothing. Is that out of the ordinary? Again, sorry for the hijacking.

I honestly have no idea and no problem