LIBERTY LOAN COIN - GOLD -

firefighter

firefighter

I have a silver (steel?) colored one of these on my keychain. I don't remember seeing a gold one either.

Mikie

Thank you. It doesn't appear to be painted.

trenchrat1918

These medallions were made by the treasury department from German guns captured at Chateau Thierry and awarded to volunteers for the 5th Liberty Loan drive (known as the Victory Loan drive). I've seen the silver version by the truckload over the years but never the gold. I wonder if the gold version was made for more important individuals, maybe people who have sold an extraordinary number of bonds?

firefighter

These medallions were made by the treasury department from German guns captured at Chateau Thierry and awarded to volunteers for the 5th Liberty Loan drive (known as the Victory Loan drive). I've seen the silver version by the truckload over the years but never the gold. I wonder if the gold version was made for more important individuals, maybe people who have sold an extraordinary number of bonds?

Thank you for the information. I did not know they were made from cannons captured in one specific area and that it was for one specific War Loan.

firefighter

The gold ones are salvaged brass, not painted.

But why does it have, MADE FROM CAPTURED GERMAN CANON.? And my a gold/brass colored one?

Shakethetrees

Made from captured cannon has been a phrase traditionally used on fund raising medals.

When cannons were salvaged and scrapped, the first thing is to separate the non-ferrous from the ferrous metals. A lot of small parts, bearings, bushings, elevating wheels, etc., were non ferrous.

The pressure required to mint even small medals is tremendous. I don't have the exact data to back this up, but based on my practical experience in metalworking its at least two or three to one, iron being the toughest to make. And, he tougher to make, the quicker dies wear out or break, making brass a more attractive alternative.

trenchrat1918

Thank you for the information. I did not know they were made from cannons captured in one specific area and that it was for one specific War Loan.

Your welcome, after your brass one came up it made me very curious and I did a little more digging. I haven't been able to find a direct reference to the gold colored or brass ones. All I have been able to find is the basic information that I posted in regard to the 5th Liberty loan. I did find a thread on the forum that has a bit more information. I would post a link but I have no clue how to do that.

It is entirely possible that these are brass as there would have been some brass on the guns and gun carriages. This would explain the scarcity since I think they used two or three guns for the metal. I still wonder if the brass medals were used for more prestigious recipients. Since you posted the thread I've found several of the brass/gold medals but they are far outnumbered by the steel version.

Sorry I tried to post a link with another brass medal but I'm having problems tonight. I did buy one today and I will post a picture when it arrives.

Wes

trenchrat1918

Thank you for turning me on to a cool new toy, plus I have a mystery to solve.

Thanks to all for your help and information.

• 7 months later...
firefighter

I assume you checked this gem with a magnet?

​I have not. Never thought about. Do think the U.S. government could have been lying about these? :D

Not sure , just know every other one has been steel. just knowing that would cause me to test it out of curiosity.

firefighter

Not sure , just know every other one has been steel. just knowing that would cause me to test it out of curiosity.

I was just kidding. It's buried now.I'll have to test it when I dig it up.

I've wondered about these also. I have several of the more common silver ones on a couple of different suspensions. The picture below is of a gold-colored one I have. Its mounted on a ribbon with a "Chairman" bar that is also a brooch. Perhaps this gives some clues about why some were gold-colored.

Dennis

post-1496-0-71561100-1490841211.jpg

I scoured contemporary neespaper accounts and see no reference to brass medals. They cite two million being made but no mention of material other than captured cannon.

They wete issued through the Federal Reserve to local war savings committees, schools, etc. to distribute. They came without suspension ribbons so any of those type are local modifications. It is probable that the brass plating is also a local modification.

firefighter

I've wondered about these also. I have several of the more common silver ones on a couple of different suspensions. The picture below is of a gold-colored one I have. Its mounted on a ribbon with a "Chairman" bar that is also a brooch. Perhaps this gives some clues about why some were gold-colored.

Dennis

That is cool.I always thought it was a key chain type medallion. Great look medal

• 6 years later...