Flyer's hot weather shirt. Unknown collar insignia

stmerry

I can't make out the details on the left collasr, but is that Chief Warrant Officer 4 insignia on the right collar?

arw4.gif

The left colour is just like the branch of services to the officers but WOs are a special lot they all use that device.

Ah, my field of expertise for once. What you have there is the Warrant Officer "rising eagle" or commonly known as the squashed bug. This insignia was worn by all warrant officers regardless of branch up until a few years ago when we were required to take the warrant officer brown striping off our blues and and retire the squashed bug. Many warrant officers revolted by sewing the squashed bug on the bottom of the collar with the branch insignia on the top as a sign of revolt.

As for the rank, I believe that the rank is the older style rank and it is actually a CW3 and not a CW4.

1zd6sxs.jpg

...it is the old style CW3...

Link here to see historical Army Warrant Officer rank insignia. Actually, none of the approved insignia shown by TIOH match the one on the uniform, which seems to have too many segments (seven!) The cloth collar patch looks foreign made ~~~ might it have been a botched early attempt at the 1972 CWO (W4) insignia?

...it have been a botched early attempt at the 1972 CWO (W4) insignia?

I think that's what it is: with the four black marks - the just got the spacing wrong.

Yep, you guys are correct, a botched CW4. The old warrant rank was always hard to read, I think I was looking at the wings as well because you also don't see to many CW4s with senior wings, usually, they have made master by the time they are CW4s.