V-42 with Sheath

graham2589

This is my first post on here. I've been collecting FSSF items for quite a few years now and recently acquired a V-42 from a close friend. Obviously I'm very happy to have this in my collection.

This knife supposely belonged to a member of the FSSF, Clayton C. Rodgers of Northville, Michigan. The regiment and company escape me right now but I do have the information at home. Supposedly he was originally a Canadian who moved to Michigan, then to Florida where his family sold the knife to a dealer in the 1960's. This dealer had it for numerous years until my friend acquired it.

My question is, what is the best way to preserve this knife? The sheath has the dreaded "red rot". The leather at the hilt is a bit soft on the left side when facing "Case". The blade has some obvious pitting but otherwise in great shape. I've read numerous articles on here about leather preservation but nothing seemed to definite. Please excuse me if you feel I have not done my research on leather preservation in advance.

​Cheers!

post-69306-0-10084200-1470229557.jpg

post-69306-0-38621100-1470229563.jpg

post-69306-0-71320300-1470229602.jpg

There are as many different opinions about cleaning and preservation as there are collectors I'd say. What I do is this. I use a DAMP cloth with a BIT of soap to clean off any dirt on the leather.( Only if the leather is in good enough shape to handle the attention) Wipe it dry and after it is dry apply a light coat of quality,wax based leather dressing like neutral shoe polish. Some use Mink oil etc. keep in mind any oil you apply WILL darken the leather. For metal I use Balistol gun oil or just 3 in one.

Shakethetrees

Red rot is the death knell for leather. Nothing you can do will "revive" it.

In my experience as a conservator, the only thing I have found that works in this situation would be to handle it as little as possible, keep it away from direct sunlight, moisture (I.e., no damp cloths to remove dust), changes in temperature by not putting it near heating/cooling vents.

Oil the blade and hilt, wax the grip if it's a little dry and let it go at that.

Great knife!

The scabbard looks ok but for the top. You can't tell what problems it has from this one pic. The handle on the other hand appears sweet! Temp and humidity are key in its care.

" I've read numerous articles on here about leather preservation but nothing seemed to definite. Please excuse me if you feel I have not done my research on leather preservation in advance."

I think many of us feel similarly.

The more I try to learn about what to do with leather the more convinced I am that there isn't a universally dependable single approach to it. I've been dealing with leather for years. The one thing I've seen over and over is that a technic that works very well in many instances doesn't work for another piece of leather.

I don't know the name of the real "leather expert", I wish I did.

I personally feel pretty confident with the ways I deal with newer leather in good condition. However I can't be 100% sure of how it's going to look in the future.

These older pieces that are already exhibiting problems like red rot, mold/mildew, and other responses to age and environment are the real problems.

Great addition to your collection. Sorry that I don't have a great answer for your question.

Shakethetrees

"The more I try to learn about what to do with leather the more convinced I am that there isn't a universally dependable single approach to it. I've been dealing with leather for years. The one thing I've seen over and over is that a technic that works very well in many instances doesn't work for another piece of leather.

I don't know the name of the real "leather expert", I wish I did.

I personally feel pretty confident with the ways I deal with newer leather in good condition. However I can't be 100% sure of how it's going to look in the future.

These older pieces that are already exhibiting problems like red rot, mold/mildew, and other responses to age and environment are the real problems. "

Sactroop, you hit it on the head!

The set of variables, known and unknown, inherent in any given piece of leather determine its longevity.

You can't come in and retroactively fix what is already permanently a part of its "DNA".

• 5 years later...
Brian Dentino
1 hour ago, Crodgers said:

I am the daughter of Clayton C Rodgers please contact me 661-205-8706

lots to talk about

Unfortunately it appears that his last visit to this forum was in 2018 so doubt he will see your post Crodgers.  

1 hour ago, Crodgers said:

I am the daughter of Clayton C Rodgers please contact me 661-205-8706

lots to talk about

you may not get a reply. The original poster has not been active since October 2018 

• 4 weeks later...

I just found this thread by Googling Clayton C. Rodgers.

I have a Mauser HSc pistol that came with your V-42 knife reportedly brought back by Rodgers. I purchased it in 2012 and the seller (Dominic) stated he had acquired the pair together but was selling the pistol as it didn't fit into his knife collection. Told me the exact story verbatim about Canadian, Michigan and Florida. So I'm thinking we purchased the items from the same person. 

I reached out to the family above who couldn't confirm or deny the validity of the knife and pistol but I was happy to learn more about Rodgers service. For the moment the items will remain another story lost to time..