Captured Japanese Flag - with info about the person who captured it

anton67

I picked up this flag today from a woman who got it at an estate sale.

The flag is framed and measures 37" X 31".

It appears to be signed by US soldiers.

I took plenty of photos of the soldiers signatures.

The top left part of the flag has a name and I think that it says:

Short Snorter Started by ??

F/o Glen F. Cartjoball ??

Sept 9, 1945 (Okinawa)

So it is dated a week after the Japanese surrenderd.

I am also told that it doesn't look like a typical "yosegaki" flag. I am also told that it could have been from a junior officer to one of his men, with others of the element signing below the meatball.

The flag translates as follows.

祈武運長久

Ki Buun Chōkyū

Prayers for Continued Luck in the Fortunes of War

贈尾入君

Zō Oiri-kun

Presented to Mr. Oiri [Note: The author did not write Mr. Oiri's given name. As written, it is from a senior to a junior. Though my sensei would call me "Power-kun" while speaking, he usually wrote "Guy Power-kun" when signing something. ]

駒井隊

Komai Tai

Komai Corps[Note: "-Tai" [squadron/corps/element usually takes the commander's name; I'm guessing Komai wrote this for one of his NCOs or lower enlisted men.]

軍人の節操を尚べ

Gunjin no Sessō o Naobe

"Soldier's Integrity/Fidelity is Greatened/Advanced" [perhaps better as "Greaten the Soldier's Fidelity."]

Signed:

駒井

Komai

FIRST UP IS THE TOP LEFT PART OF THE FLAG.

post-63438-0-81997600-1470179472_thumb.jpg

UPDATE:

Post number 6 is Alice T. Barrett:

Name: Alice T Barrett Residence Year: 1946 Street address: 813 Hickory Residence Place: Scranton, Pennsylvania, USA Occupation: Nurse Publication Title: Scranton, Pennsylvania, City Directory, 1946

Do you mind if I ask, how you were able to get the script translated? I have a set of letters reportedly written by a Japanese soldier to his family at home. They were brought home by a USAAC C47 pilot who flew in the CBI. I have ALL of his training documents, flight log book, leather blood chit, pay records, flight school yearbook, his flight school notebook with all of his hand written notes, survival mirrors, silk navigation maps, flight and navigation computers etc., etc...nearly every document he was ever issued while overseas from 1944-1945. I've tried to have them translated by a Japanese friend, but she states that they are written in a style of Japanese "cursive" not used in nearly 70 years. I also was unable to get them successfully translated by the language bank at the University of Nevada Reno. If you could possibly point me in the right direction, I'd be very appreciative!