P1B Modified to P4A Helmet

anton67

Charlie Flick

What a great helmet. I like it!

I also liked that sticker inside. Never seen it before. It indicates that the helmet upgrade was performed at Wilkins Air Force Station. It was located in Shelby, OH and is long closed.

Regards,

Charlie

Thank you Mr. Flick.

Can you tell me what type of aircraft this helmet was probably used for?

Also I would like t know what era.

phantomfixer

Could have been many/ any Air Force aircraft in the late 1950's, and I have seen pics of crews wearing them in the late 60's and very early 1970s, here at Dover AFB, with the F-106's of the 95th FIS,...all I could find with a quick google search, was that Wilkins was a depot base up until 1961...then closed? The helmet was made around the mid 1950's...some here will know way more about your helmet...nice one...

the helmet is a very nice helmet...looks like right out of the box/helmet bag...with the exception of Mitch...which is a nice touch

northcoastaero

This flight helmet and mask setup could have possibly been flown with the following aircraft during the mid 1950s:

-B-36

-B-45

-B-47

-F-51

-F-84

-F-86

-F-89

-F-94

-T-33

Other possible aircraft:

-Very early B-52

-very early B-57

-Very early B-58

-Very early B-66

-Very early F-100

The SAC bomber aircraft may have used an MB- designated helmet along with or instead of the P-4A helmet.

Just curious, what is the date of mfr. on the oxygen mask?

phantomfixer

curious as to the difference in the P-1A vs the MB-4 or why SAC would have a different designation for the same helmet..did they have different designations for other flight gear?

Northcoast...found this on the forum..is it correct? Sounds like SAC..

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/215223-usaf-sac-mb-4-flight-helmet/

Thank you all for your help.

It is cool to think the pilot could have flown an F-51 during the Korean War.

Or even a Saber Jet.

Anyway I looked over the mask.

It is made by MSA but I could not locate a date.

Any ideas where to look?

northcoastaero

Thank you all for your help.

It is cool to think the pilot could have flown an F-51 during the Korean War.

Or even a Saber Jet.

Anyway I looked over the mask.

It is made by MSA but I could not locate a date.

Any ideas where to look?

Mid to late 1950s. Post Korean War era.

northcoastaero

curious as to the difference in the P-1A vs the MB-4 or why SAC would have a different designation for the same helmet..did they have different designations for other flight gear?

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/215223-usaf-sac-mb-4-flight-helmet/

The P-1 had an olive drab suspension, communications cable with a 3-pin U-75/U plug, and no visor mount indentations in the shell.

Also had chamois/rubber ear cups. Black rubber edge roll.

The P-1A had an olive drab suspension, communications cable with a 3-pin U-75/U plug, and no visor mount indentations in the shell.

Also had chamois/rubber ear cups. White rubber edge roll.

The P-1B had a sage green suspension, communications cable with a 3-pin U-75/U plug, and had visor mount indentations on the sides.

The SAC MB-4 appears to have a sage green suspension, communications cable with a single pin plug, may have visor mount

indentations on the sides? Have seen some SAC MB- helmets with the visor mounts. Also upgraded earphone elements and

black foam/rubber ear cups.

There were other MB- designated helmets. There is a coverall/anti-g suit with the MB- designation somewhere on this forum. The MB-3

is the white leather flight helmet with the removable bill.

northcoastaero

The P-1 had an olive drab suspension, communications cable with a 3-pin U-75/U plug, and no visor mount indentations in the shell.

Also had chamois/rubber ear cups. Black rubber edge roll.

The P-1A had an olive drab suspension, communications cable with a 3-pin U-75/U plug, and no visor mount indentations in the shell.

The P-1B had a sage green suspension, communications cable with a 3-pin U-75/U plug, and had visor mount indentations on the sides.

The SAC MB-4 appears to have a sage green suspension, communications cable with a single pin plug, may have visor mount

indentations on the sides? Have seen some SAC MB- helmets with the visor mounts. Also upgraded earphone elements and

black foam/rubber ear cups.

There were other MB- designated helmets. There is a coverall/anti-g suit with the MB- designation somewhere on this forum. The MB-3

is the white leather flight helmet with the removable bill.

Mid to late 1950s. Post Korean War era.

Ahh. OK.

Is this the wheel date? Is the mask dated 1956?

Also how long would the helmet have been in service in this configuration?

Early 60's?

The helmet is in excellent condition for being that old.

The pilot sure had a small head. :D

post-63438-0-96820700-1470406518.jpg