U S Coast Guard PBY "SAR DOG" 1953

superchief

At the end of WWII, the Coast Guard found itself with a myriad of all types of aircraft. Included in this mix was the PBY5 "Catalina", used by the Navy, Army Air Corps as well as the USCG. While the other Services divested themselves of surplus aircraft, the Coast Guard's peacetime mission saw an increase in aircraft inventory. The war was over but the war against the elements continued with an increase in pleasure boaters needing rescue. Although considered obsolete by 1945, the Coast Guard continued to fly the PBY5 in the search and rescue mission. I built this Monogram 1:48 scale kit a few years ago. Every model I saw of this plane was the navy blue version, armed as a patrol bomber. So in keeping with my desire to build "different", I chose Quonset Point Naval Air Station's "Sar Dog". I built up the interior by scratch building the radio operators and navigators station. The observer's aft compartment was similarly built with a number of additions. I added an air drop lifeboat as well as the JATO bottles, all scratch built. All control surfaces were cut from the wings and re positioned. The model was painted with Tamiya paints and the decals were made on my computer. As with many of my models it was a FUN build. Cheers!

post-162620-0-11951400-1470081366_thumb.jpg

That's an awesome model. Fantastic! Wish my Dad could see it. He used to say that one of the happiest experiences during his time in the Army was when he volunteered to be be an extra pair of eyes when the Navy was searching for Eddie Rickenbacker. He got to sit in one of the side bubbles of a PBY and look out and watch the ocean go by. He didn't get anywhere near Eddie, but thoroughly enjoyed it.

Mikie

That is incredible. You guys are great artist. This is so nice. Is the wire for the headset a special touch or did that come with the kit?

Ronnie

The Meatcan

wow, that's a very impressive build! nice job! What brand paint did you use for the overall aluminum color?

Great stuff!

Terry

This is an awesome build of the PBY5 Catalina. I love the post war paint job, but what I think puts this model over the top is your putting on the control wires. Very nice job.

P.S. I also like the zinc chromate interior color of the plane. Thanks for sharing.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Garandomatic

Exceptionally cool... How did you do the decals yourself? I'll need to get the nose art for my beloved Punched Fowl before long... Looked at a few options, but yours turned out great.

Hello All

Thanks for the kind words, it's always appreciated!

In answer to some questions;

the plane was painted with Tamiya paints, some of it was airbrushed and some applied with a "rattle can".

I had a computer program on my old computer in which I could scan and print letters, I think it was Microsoft Word program. Alas, my new computer has a system so sophisticated I can't replicate decals in the same manner, so much for progress...

the head phone "wire" is thin solder, I use solder for a number of things beside it's intended use with a soldering gun. It makes great cables, rope, wire as its very soft and pliable and STAYS in the form (like curled wire) without unraveling. For rope just paint it gray or tan.

The pictures show an actual prototype I based my model on and a close up of the drop lifeboat.

Happy Coast Guard Day August 4, 2016!

Cheers

post-162620-0-92079400-1470332870_thumb.jpg

post-162620-0-62180300-1470332976_thumb.jpg