1968 Navy dated and engraved wings from Admiral White VP-48

johnny12550

johnny12550

Anyone have any idea what was the special event that this sailor was awarded these wings presented by Admiral D.M. White? I would imagine that his whole unit was presented engraved wings. I have his medals which are an armed forces expeditionary,vietnam service, national defense, a NAM and a unit commendation ribbon.

post-129350-0-66674700-1470059028_thumb.jpg

johnny12550

firefighter,

Thanks for the information. It nice to find additional info on the vet. I think the article is off on his discharge date of 1965. He would have only been just turning 19 years old in 1965. He did have a unit commendation on his rack, and I believe he earned that in December of 1968 for a deployment, which was in Alaska, probably his last duty station.

Other that that, everything mentioned in the article matches up with his medals, ribbons, patches, etc.. Thanks Again, John

firefighter

firefighter,

Thanks for the information. It nice to find additional info on the vet. I think the article is off on his discharge date of 1965. He would have only been just turning 19 years old in 1965. He did have a unit commendation on his rack, and I believe he earned that in December of 1968 for a deployment, which was in Alaska, probably his last duty station.

Other that that, everything mentioned in the article matches up with his medals, ribbons, patches, etc.. Thanks Again, John

You're welcome. Maybe the wings were an award for their accomplishments from the Admiral or Sailor of the year?

johnny12550

This is the way I received it, minus a 3rd class rate badge. I put it away and can't find it tight now. It was just a small grouping, but I liked it. I've had it for over a year now, so someone in the family must have sold it after he passed away in 2015.

post-129350-0-97608400-1470253939.jpg