Advice on restoring a navy aviator hat

If you want to be according to regulations the chinstrap is black with black buttons and the device subdued. There are many period photos of the grey cap being worn with the bright device, gold chinstrap, buttons or bright device with black chinstrap and buttons. Either way would be proper. Supposedly the subdued device was not very popular.

Ray

donation2013.gif

I have a spare I'm going to sell him.

Wait... Mine may be for CPO? Are the straps different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GOT SEABEE ITEMS? PM ME!

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

I have a spare I'm going to sell him.

Wait... Mine may be for CPO? Are the straps different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes...the officer one will be cloth; the CPO one is made of leather/vinyl (or whatever the material was at the time...)

Only a weak society needs government protection or intervention before it pursues its resolve to preserve the truth. Truth needs neither handcuffs nor a badge for its vindication. -Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

Peace is not the absence of war, but the defense of hard-won freedom. -Anton LaGuardia

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

If you want to be according to regulations the chinstrap is black with black buttons and the device subdued. There are many period photos of the grey cap being worn with the bright device, gold chinstrap, buttons or bright device with black chinstrap and buttons. Either way would be proper. Supposedly the subdued device was not very popular.

A black cap device was apparently proposed at one point but never made the official cut, allowing officers to use their existing devices. The black chinstrap was required for service and working dress for about a month in 1943 but apparently forcing every officer to buy a new chinstrap was not in the cards either, and either gold or black was permitted after July 1943. The black chinstrap could also be worn with the blue or white cap cover except for dress occasions.

"All Hands," August 1943"

post-3982-0-07094000-1470107843_thumb.jpg

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Not to change the subject, but what would be the proper strap for a combination cover for the aviation green uniform? Were subdued cap badges ever used with the green uniform? Thanks.

The only subdued cap devices ever authorized were for USN officers who wore USMC service green or khaki uniforms, and they were miniature size. For the aviation working uniform, the gold chinstrap would be standard, with black optional from 1943 to 1946.

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif