Saved from the Go Cart track!

jayhawkhenry

jayhawkhenry

I found this helmet at a flea market and could not pass it up for the price. It came in a 1970 dated helmet bag and had been painted over two or three times. There was no way to remove the orange without taking everything off, so I went to work. I was able to save the original name sticker on the top, which had also been covered in paint. Getting the paint off of the leather padded roll was a challenge, after using Goo Gone to take off the over spray, I used Pecard's leather dressing to put some life back into it. Picked up a replacement nape strap from eBay. Now to find a large visor & cover and proper chin strap.

post-2722-0-02469900-1469904590.jpg

post-2722-0-83590900-1469904609.jpg

post-2722-0-44054500-1469904637.jpg

jayhawkhenry

One last shot. It's missing the avionics, but I'll save that for another day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkf8a845e77b95752a16f3f392d5f06aa8.jpg

phantomfixer

That is great!! what a find and save...nice resto work...hope you can score a nice visor set for it....
the ear cup string should come with the earcups...but if you find yourself needing the string, I can send you some...I cut the knife restraint string from scrap 27/P flight suits...it works great for the earcup strings...

northcoastaero

Nice HGU-2A/P helmet restoration project. The mask for the helmet would be a MBU-5/P. Try the following for parts:

aviationhelmets.com

flighthelmet.com

jayhawkhenry

Thank you all for the kind words. There are still some tiny pock marks from being tossed about that have paint in them that will need some work.

If anyone has any spare parts for a large visor please let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know I have a single visor housing I would donate to the project. It has a stain on it but it could be painted to look cool. I might have other parts too.

Nice of you gents being so willing to help the cause. Best part of the hobby is when folks share the wealth so to speak.

• 2 months later...

Nicely done, sir. I don't know that much about these flight helmets. But I have been collecting for many years. Around fifteen years ago, I won an auction lot that had a dozen flight helmet visors in the bottom of the box. They were not the target of my purchase, just a bonus. They are still in a box in my garage. If they fit your helmet, I'll happily send you one. I'll try to dig one out tomorrow, and photograph it. I'm sure someone here could tell us if it's correct or not. If it doesn't fit yours perhaps you could use it to barter for one that does fit yours. ~scott

Hello again. I'm not sure about posting photos here. The label on the visor I offered you, reads: "55/P Neutral Visor". They are in a soft white fabric sock, then wrapped in tissue paper. They look like the shade of dark sunglasses. They do have a cut out for a nose. They also have black webbing on each side with a snap, and a tension buckle. If you want it send me a message with your address. ~scott

Nahkampfmesser

How did you get on with the visor cover and other parts?

Any updated pictures of your restoration? Great job and keen to see how it's going!

• 2 weeks later...

How did you get on with the visor cover and other parts?

Any updated pictures of your restoration? Great job and keen to see how it's going!

I did add a nice chinstrap that 72psb was gracious enough to send me. Still looking for a suitable visor & housing.

I still have that single visor housing if you want it. I do not have the tracks, knob or the visor but if you want the housing, I will donate it for free. I will bring it to the KCMCC Military show in Lenexa tomorrow if you want to meet there.

I did add a nice chinstrap that 72psb was gracious enough to send me. Still looking for a suitable visor & housing.

• 4 weeks later...

I still have that single visor housing if you want it. I do not have the tracks, knob or the visor but if you want the housing, I will donate it for free. I will bring it to the KCMCC Military show in Lenexa tomorrow if you want to meet there.

I couldn't make it to the show, but I would like to get the housing. I need to find a time when I will be in your area and let you know.

Thanks again,

Henry