M1A1, opinions, observations welcome.

Sledge

From what I gleaned from the uscarbinecal30 website, the first production ones had the circle P on the back end of the forestock which was discontinued during the latter part of the first run.

So any you handled without a circle P on the back of the forestock could also be first production original, unless they have a P on the grip.

The arsenal/armory rebuild mark is a P anywhere on the grip, any size, circled or otherwise. So at least according to the info on that website, the ones you handled with a P on the grip were arsenal/armory rebuilds.

I am loving the depth of the history on these. So much to consider and learn.

everforward

From what I gleaned from the uscarbinecal30 website, the first production ones had the circle P on the back end of the forestock which was discontinued during the latter part of the first run.

So any you handled without a circle P on the back of the forestock could also be first production original, unless they have a P on the grip.

The arsenal/armory rebuild mark is a P anywhere on the grip, any size, circled or otherwise. So at least according to the info on that website, the ones you handled with a P on the grip were arsenal/armory rebuilds.

I am loving the depth of the history on these. So much to consider and learn.

Thanks....Y'know the circle 'P' could have been on the back of the stock as you describe, it's been a long time since I've seen them....they were in minty condition and nothing changed, flip sights etc...

Thanks....Y'know the circle 'P' could have been on the back of the stock as you describe, it's been a long time since I've seen them....they were in minty condition and nothing changed, flip sights etc...

Funny you should mention seeing one long ago. I have owned guns all my life and have been to numerous gun shops and shows but had never seen an original M1A1 that wasn't under/behind glass before a couple weeks ago. Forget about actually holding one in my hands, The only one I had ever seen before was at the WWII Museum in New Orleans behind a shatterproof glass wall with all sorts of other armament. Very cool display and I remember thinking "I would love to have one of those".

I wonder how many original condition first production M1A1's out of the 70,000 are out there today? 70.000 each of first production and second production correct? Anyone care to make an educated guess?

Wow, thats a beautiful carbine. I would seriously reconsider shooting it in that stock. It already looks to have a long, but tight, crack starting at the angle where the recoil plate goes. This was a common area for cracks. That stock by itself, in that condition, is worth a couple thousand dollars. It would be impossible to replace if something happened to it and the value would plummet if it broke and had to be repaired. I would just buy a reproduction M1a1 stock to shoot it in. That isn't your run of the mill carbine, thats a rare rifle that hasn't really been altered and it's in fantastic condition.

post-3508-0-66032100-1470320779_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info on value of the stock. I had no idea. I have taken your advice as well as others and purchased a spare stock set for firing it. I noticed the crack and it seems stable but I will not be shooting the gun with the original stock mounted.

The spare came from Inland. The finish is on too much or applied wrong since a lot came off when I wiped it down with a bit of linseed oil but the color didn't lighten much. I had to do a bit of sanding on the wooden lip at the front of the handguard to get the barrel band on. Had to file down a rough area on the side of the buttplate since it was chipping wood off the side of the stock. Sight channel is a bit higher than I would like. Otherwise a pretty decent stock set and fits tight.

100_6997.jpg

100_6998.jpg