Question about civilian POW

siege1863

Is there any way to research an American civilian who was a POW during the war? I find a William (NMI) Anderson Jr., a civilian held by the Japanese. Other than the basic information given in the POW rolls, I find nothing else. There was a man by this name who, before the war at least, was a big businessman in the Manila area. I wonder if this could be him. Since he was residing in the Philippines for many years, this could explain why there is no reference to him in US newspapers or other sources. Any suggestions appreciated.

I realize this section is essentially for POW-related items, but since many who collect them also delve into the records, I though I might get a better response posting here.

Thanks.

Attached is a passenger list identifying he and his family going to the United States in 1947. According to the POW records his wife (Adele) and children were interned at Santo Tomas. Look for the entry for her and for the Children of W H Anderson in the POW records. None of them appear on the published rosters of internees at Santo Tomas, however.

William Anderson Jr was born in 1911. His father, William Hart Anderson, was a player in the Philippine mining industry. William Jr. was born in the Philippines.

post-130897-0-37588900-1469803673.jpg

lettow---

FANTASTIC! This must be the man! I found William Srs. signature on a pre-war mining stock certificate from the Philippines. This all ties in. I now have much more to work with. Thanks a million!

Wharfmaster

According to the book "Santo Tomas Internment Camp" by F. H. Stevens, the name was Walter Hiram Anderson Senior and Junior.

NARA also confirms Walter, wife and son.

My Uncle was a member of the flying column that liberated Santo Tomas from behind Japanese lines. Bless the 1st Cav.

Wharf

Walter Hiram Anderson and William Anderson Jr. are two different people both of whom were interned in the philippines.

Here is what I have...

The "short snorter" signed by William Anderson, Jr.; the Philippines stock certificate from 1933 signed by William Anderson; and a close-up (best available) of the signature on the certificate.

post-211-0-13025200-1469814806.jpg