Mel Gibsons new WWII movie- Hacksaw ridge

Mr.Jerry

Havent seen the movie but more then likely the 77th division marking

Thanks...

Was it common to put the outlines of a unit's patch on the sides of helmets? Maybe this conversation needs to go into the helmet forum...

Thanks...

Was it common to put the outlines of a unit's patch on the sides of helmets? Maybe this conversation needs to go into the helmet forum...

There is a lot of photos showing the 77th used markings not sure common but the division was known to do so

Saw the movie Saturday. I really enjoyed it and suprisingly my wife loved it! Yes, a bit of Hollywood there, but that's expected. All in all, very well done.

Saw the film tonight and really enjoyed it. Yeah, there were a few minor issues, but overall a movie well worth seeing and owning. A great tribute to all medics and to Mr. Doss himself. I honestly think the "flaws" were excusable as the story is what should be drawing people in. And, it was never advertised as being a totally accurate film with every detail researched. I would see it again and will certainly invest in the dvd when its available. Scott

Finally saw it last night with my bride and she enjoyed it also. Being a helmet collector, I bit my lip so as not to be the spoiler that my wife accuses me of being(this goes back to ruining Smokey and the Bandit while we were dating) Anyhow, it was worth going to and I'll be adding it to my DVD collection when it comes out.

BILL THE PATCH

Seen the movie Thursday night with my two boys, the movie kept me pretty entertained for the whole movie. I was so engrossed that I didn't have time to critique it. But I did notice all the correct things, like the 77th outline on helmets, DUI on overseas hats. I would definitely see it again. Vince Vaughan was pretty decent considering he does lots of comedy. It's in my top ten

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

We finally got out to go see it on Tuesday night when all movies are $5.

I would highly recommend it to everyone. Based on previous comments I would think all these historical errors were blatant which they were not. I barely noticed anything the main being how Vince Vaughn was their Sarge from basic to the front lines.

The message of the movie is wonderfully uplifting and the plot is engrossing. I will most likely be adding this to my Blu Ray collection as well.

I would recommend that it be seen on the big screen for the full effect of the battlefield scenes, which can be gruesome but what I would imagine to be realistic.

All in all a super movie.

-Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like good reviews....my biggest fear was that this was going to be some anti gun hollywood push seeing that he was earned the honor without a weapon...glad to see Mel Gibson doing it justice

It absolutely wasn't presented that way at all IMO. Mainly showing him standing up for his convictions and morals through it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In regards to the aforementioned errors. I think that the producers had to source a lot of helmets, so using postwar M-1s with correct stencils, the added liner straps, and decent chinstraps was very forgivable to me, they at least put in effort. The lack of re-loading was again perhaps forgivable as they were trying to get the viewer to feel the hail of gunfire that was taken and delivered on the Maeda Escarpment. Perhaps the only really egregious error in my book, was when they showed the scene after the first day on the escarpment where the company was taking cover for the night and a guy lit up a lighter and cigarette after dark! That's basic training 101 there, but again, I think the producers were conveying to the audience a sense of accomplishment and a reward for a hard fought battle. It is after all a Hollywood movie. Scott

Thanks...

Heres a WW2 period press photo of 77th helmets being used in the field (incorrectly captioned on Iwo Jima)...im hoping to see the movie today or soon!...mike

post-350-0-55248100-1479655553_thumb.jpg

It costs $5 to go to a movie here....Its entertainment and I like the diversion and at times being the only one there,I dont analize or pick it apart.I watch the movie and enjoy it for what it is....

My issue with movies are the rude people who constanly talk through a movie or look at their damn frickin phone constanly.If they cant shut up or put down the damn phone they should leave or stay home and rent it in a couple weeks.

Heres a WW2 period press photo of 77th helmets being used in the field (incorrectly captioned on Iwo Jima)...im hoping to see the movie today or soon!...mike

attachicon.gif77th helmets.jpg

Thank you!

Do you know, did other WWII units also stencil their insignia outline on helmets in this way?

We've seen many images of insignia on helmets all over the place in and out of war time, so I am guessing the 77th chose this way of indentifying? Not sure what got me started on this except that every 77th troop seems to have had it, located in the exact same spot, and it was just the outline etc etc etc.

If this is too ridiculous to ask about, just leave me to my old man reveries! :rolleyes:

I was a bothered a lot more by the historical inaccuracies than the technical details. For example, Corporal Doss was a draftee, not a volunteer; he was working in the shipyards in Newport News rather than living an idyllic rural existence in the Blue Ridge Mountains; there's no evidence he was ever severely beaten for his religious beliefs as depicted on the movie; etc., etc.

Don't get me wrong: the movie was entertaining and I understand Hollywood can't resist the opportunity to "improve" upon history, but Doss is a genuine American hero and his true story should be good enough. For many years he resisted efforts to bring his story to the big screen because he was a humble man who thought Hollywood wouldn't portray it accurately. I wonder what he would think of this effort?

" I wonder what he would think of this effort?"

Me too. We, in my opinion. were very fortunate that some of the major participants at Hamburger Hill were still around to comment thuswise about "We Were Soldiers..."

For example, Corporal Doss was a draftee, not a volunteer

Wait a minute - they have him as a volunteer and a conscientious objector at the same time?

Wait a minute - they have him as a volunteer and a conscientious objector at the same time?

Yes, in the movie he volunteered under the condition that he wouldn't have to bear arms or perform duty on Saturday.

I was a bothered a lot more by the historical inaccuracies than the technical details. For example, Corporal Doss was a draftee, not a volunteer; he was working in the shipyards in Newport News rather than living an idyllic rural existence in the Blue Ridge Mountains; there's no evidence he was ever severely beaten for his religious beliefs as depicted on the movie; etc., etc.

Don't get me wrong: the movie was entertaining and I understand Hollywood can't resist the opportunity to "improve" upon history, but Doss is a genuine American hero and his true story should be good enough. For many years he resisted efforts to bring his story to the big screen because he was a humble man who thought Hollywood wouldn't portray it accurately. I wonder what he would think of this effort?

I completely agree, Based on his Medal of Honer Citation, The Movie changed the story quite a bit. I Believe that when film producers change or "fluff up" his actions for the movie, Its like they are saying that his actions weren't heroic enough. They also made it seem like Okinawa was the first time Doss had seen combat, when in reality it was his third Campaign in the Pacific. The film also portryas that he saved all those men within a 24 hour time span, It was actually a span of weeks. This was a American hero who didn't need writers to make his story more interesting or amazing.

Also, Vince Vaghn was a terrible drill sargent. I didnt know whether to laugh, or take him serios.

-Adrian

• 3 weeks later...

All technical and uniform errors aside (and I noticed several), the basic lack of understanding of military protocol bugged me the most. The MP who brings in Doss and half-a$$ salutes the CO from the position of "at ease"? The same CO walking around outside in Class Bs with no cap on? I think I actually said out loud, "Where's your cover, captain?"

All technical and uniform errors aside (and I noticed several), the basic lack of understanding of military protocol bugged me the most. The MP who brings in Doss and half-sweetheart salutes the CO from the position of "at ease"? The same CO walking around outside in Class Bs with no cap on? I think I actually said out loud, "Where's your cover, captain?"

I agree, that and the old chiche of the Drill Sgt leading the same men into combat.

Something about Hollywood and headwear hasn't gone together since men stopped wearing hats most of the time.

Many war movies have the primary people without helmets or hats (or O2 masks when flying in jets) so I guess you can see their faces?

Sci-fi is the worst, most sci-fi uniforms don't even have headgear!

• 1 month later...

I finally saw it, I have mixed feelings but overall enjoyed watching it.

As a helmet collector I was a bit disappointed by the headgear. Incidentally, I always like the

helmets in the Thin Red Line. Vince Vaughn was not very convincing as a drill sgt and hell,

what was about his tiny helmet ? The BAR gunner scenes were pretty cool.

It's a great tribute, thanks Mel Gibson for keeping the memory alive and keeping them war movies coming. :)