Mel Gibsons new WWII movie- Hacksaw ridge

Mr.Jerry

I heard on the radio this morning that he showed it at a screening at a film festival, and got a prolonged standing ovation. The critics apparently loved it* from what I heard.

*But then again, the critics loved the Coen Brothers movie, "Hail Caesar," which my wife and I hated.

• 1 month later...

Wow. Thanks for posting this. Just finished reading Doss' CMH citation. While only a page long I don't think I've ever read anything more riveting. I've often thought the word "hero" has been overused in recent decades. In the case of Doss, the word is inadequate. I hope the flick does justice to him.

I just saw it. Huh? Not sure what to say.

In some ways a pretty solid movie. Great true story well deserving of a movie.

OK, whiney detail critic can't hold back,

I was distracted by;

-the 450 round magazines on every weapon (No one re-loads in the entire movie)

-strong teeth (pulling grenade pins with them)

-the 7 close ups of VN era helmet liners

-very "hollywood" feel overall (in my opinon)

-very "hollywood" feel overall (in my opinon)

That's good then, right? Hollywood's done a lot of great war movies over the decades and it's cool that genre survives. I love the guns that never run out of bullets (that seemed to happen s lot in Gibson's Lethal Weapons series).

Gibson can be an incredible filmmaker and knows how to do things on an epic scale (check out his pre-Columbian war movie Apocalypto:

)

By "Hollywood" I mean a little too big, too loud, too epic, and a bit over the top.

I enjoyed these same traits quite a bit more in Apocalypto.

I don;t know! judging from the previews it looks like we have another Windtalkers on our hands. Is it just me or is anyone esle turned off by the thermal, napalm explosions in all the previews....flaming balls of fire everywhere. Coupled with other comments stated already you might wanna wait till it comes out on Redbox or wait till its it free on TNT.

I'll say it's a lot more worthwhile than wind talkers in my opinion.

That said, there is a scene where a soldier charges an enemy position while shielding himself from heavy fire by holding a dead torso in front of himself with one hand, as he fires about 40 rounds from a BAR with the other hand, without reloading.

Don't not see this movie, but don't expect SPR either.

Went to see Hacksaw Ridge last night. A great movie in my opinion. A good build up to why Desmond Doss believed so strongly that he would never kill another human being. Combat scenes were exciting and well acted.

Well worth the $8.50 it cost this senior citizen.

I thought it was a good movie even with the "Hollywood" parts. The audience clapped at the end and it was a nice touch with the real Doss and fellow soldiers at the end. I did find it hard at first to see Vince Vaughn in this role as it's out of his genre, but he did a pretty good job as the top notch.

Great movie that looks stunning.

Do you know how hard it actually is to make a movie ?

There are so many working parts.

And to say .......

They had Vietnam liners is beyond picky and bitchy.

Look at the complete overall picture and then comment.

The fact that ANYONE even cares to make WW2 movies is amazing.

And to bitch about someones massive effort is pathetic.

How about.........

THANKS ?

owen

Did I come to the wrong forum? I thought this was the movie and tv review section? If authenticity was not so important, why is it that every war movie in recent memory has gone to great lengths and expense in an attempt to capture that? That being said, I think it falls well within the viewers' purview to not mistakes as they occur. Should the mistakes noted prevent someone from seeing the movie? Probably not. I'd rather see a good war movie with a few authenticity mistakes than a 100% authentic movie that puts me to sleep. But to call someone 'bitchy' simply for having an opinion on a review forum? I would reexamine my definition of petty.

Kyle

doinworkinvans

I saw the movie last night and enjoyed it...not a helmet guy so I cant vouch for their authenticity lol

Good movie, good acting, good effects, I was pleased even if it costs an arm and a leg :blink:

From what I understand that is what Owen does, and he's about the best at it. If it's fair for anyone to take offense to what I posted, then it's him.

Owen, I appologzie that my bitching came off as so offensive. I was trying to be funny, and no where did I say the entire film was garbage because of a few technical mistakes.

I very much appreciate when someone cares and takes the time to make a ww2 movie. I also very much appreciate how much modern movies have improved on the technical and historically accurate stuff. That said, it bother's me when the movie industry people make what to me are very silly mistakes, for example having close up shots of helmet liners IF they aren't going to bother to let the props people do it right. I wasn't picking something out from the background because of an incorrect grommet.

It is an exciting and entertaining movie regardless of any little technical details or "over the top" scenes.

Saw it last night... Great movie.

That said however, accuracy is most certainly important; otherwise we could just have people in street clothes playing these parts and you could just use your imagination, how well do you think that would work? Overall, compared to war films of the past in particular, I thought the accuracy level was excellent.

I do have however one simple question:

Why didn't the Japanese just cut the rope ladder loose?

Especially since they held the field after their counter attack the second day. You can't tell me no one bothered to look over the edge.

After the initial American attack, they certainly had to know it was there, it's their island and they know it like the back of their hand including that giant cliff. Where else would the Americans have come from? Does anyone know the real historical facts about this particular engagement, and how/when the rope-ladder played a part?

I have not seen the movie but am really looking forward to seeing it. That being said, I also get tired of every current war movie being picked apart for accuracy in gear rather than accuracy in content. Yes. We all know that there are forum members who want every rivet, bullet, and web belt to be perfectly accurate but I don’t believe a war movie could be made that would satisfy the rivet counters. There will always be someone who believes they know more than movie makers. Personally, I prefer the story and dialogue over every last helmet, gun, or bullet.

...Kat

I think that it is uncalled for to call someone "bitchy" for stating their opinion.Why is this allowed?

I have seen far worse on the forum. Just go browse the helmet section. :D;)

You don't owe him (or anyone else in the industry) a thing. Just because someone makes a WW2 movie, it doesn't mean we collectively need to get our knickers in a twist every time someone says anything other than it was the best thing since sliced bread. Heck, "Red Tails" was a great looking movie for the gear but was an AWFUL movie for script. Call it for what it is and don't make excuses when someone gets butt-hurt about it.

I didn't take issue with the helmet liners and small details so much with the script being a throwback to so many other previous war films and riddled with war-film tropes and clichés.

it was a good film, no question, and I'm glad I saw it. But Gibson's done far better movies than this one and I didn't walk out of the movie thinking I'd just seen the best war film I've ever seen.