Postman dropped off a surprise for me today

bheskett

Look what the postman dropped off for me this afternoon. I set up a display a while back and a local guy asked if I wanted a bunch of patches and pins he picked up in an ally right after the war. I of course said yes. Not expecting anything I forgot about it. This is what I got nothing super great but still cool. One of the Air Corps patches is a greenback and the USSTAF is on felt. A couple grenade pins and what looks to be the business ends of a couple 30-06 full metal jacketed rounds. The wings are a bit of a mystery to me can anyone I.D. them? Are they even U.S.

post-3384-0-36337900-1469744225.jpg

post-3384-0-01248000-1469744236.jpg

post-3384-0-79022500-1469744247.jpg

post-3384-0-65009800-1469744255.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Bob

Nice bunch of stuff there, and to think he had these all these decades.

Stumped on the wings, you should post and shop it out for IDing in the Wings Forum.

ocsfollowme

My wing was never identified. I even showed it to rustywings. I think it could be a contract flying wing. But who knows.

Just a thought on your winged patch;

The attached image was on the cover and also included in an article (Pp.35-37) of the January-March 2013 issue

of The Trading Post, the ASMIC bi-annual publication. The article title is-

'Flying Ack-Ack - 843rd AAA Bn (Automantic Weapons) (Air-Transportable)'

This unit served in the CBI, c.Aug, 1944 - V-J Day.

It occurred to me that the image similarity was worthy of note, and that your patch might possibly be an embroidered

variation of these wings?

Like I said just a thought, but this be worth pursuing.

post-6249-0-08137200-1469806881.jpg

ocsfollowme

R. Watkins. Could very well be. I am away from my collection but the wing is maybe 2" in length and not the standard 2.75" to 3" that most wings are.

I am wondering if there are now two color variations of this patch wing or if the one in this grouping of patches is completely faded.

Also from the same TP article mentioned before, this is an embroidered variation of the 843rdAAA Bn

wings as they were applied directly to a bush jacket. Not exactly a product match to your patch, but

the design elements are similar, and different skill levels could be responsible for these differences.

post-6249-0-43242300-1469809495.jpg

Steve

I never thought of just plopping the patch in the scanner. This is much better then the fuzzy pictures I usually take.

Front

post-3384-0-06216400-1469829003.jpg

Rear

post-3384-0-12578000-1469829020.jpg

Here you go. Now is when you tell me these are the illusive and ultra rare airborne spec. ops. wings used on D-Day and by Mike Force and worth ONE MILLLION DOLLARS

Thanks for the reply these are a puzzlement to me.

Bob

ocsfollowme

Thanks for. The Scans. I will ad the reverse of mine on Monday. I am not sure if yours is a bleached version of mine or if they came in differemt colors for a myriad of reasons (differemt ranks, schools, pilot, observer, etc). I am glad that there is another one out there!

It would be nice to get it figured out. The different colors are interesting but you may be right. Different ranks, office etc.

Bob