QUESTIONS ABOUT A COUPLE OF COMMONWEALTH MEDALS

BEAST

The medals shown below were awarded to an American who served with the CEF. After I get his records, I'll post the group in the Americans who served in foreign armies forum.

These are the first Commonwealth medals that I have owned and have a few questions about them. I would appreciate any help with them

1. The Victory medal looks like it was polished. Is this the normal finish for this medal?

2. Are the ribbons original but replacements? Were these provided with the medals to be bar mounted?

3. It appears that the ribbons were reversed. Should I switch them?

4. Any other thoughts or opinions?

Thanks in advance for the help!

post-203-0-85534100-1469703235.jpg

post-203-0-56349400-1469703236.jpg

post-203-0-85953300-1469703234.jpg

Switch the ribbons...The British collectors(our foreign counterparts) will polish medals or replace ribbons as I have noticed.

The pair is as issued. They came in a small box with the unmounted ribbons folded in the box, long enough to provide for ribbon bars and bar-mounting. You can get the veteran's Canadian attestation paperwork on-line at:

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/first-world-war-1914-1918-cef/pages/search.aspx

The ribbons appear watered silk and look original, albeit swapped round as you note. The medals were supplied with lengths of ribbons, and the length of yours look ok. The inter allied victory medal was lacquered in most cases I think which is why yours looks shiny. The British War Medal is silver which is why it has tarnished

Victory medals can lose their laquer if polished and appear duller, but some were "chocolate" ones and were unlaquered darker bronze with s sort of sand blasted finish

Personally I would swap the ribbons but would not clean

Justin H

Very nice original WWI pair in beautiful condition. I too would swap the ribbons and leave the medals alone.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

I won't belabor the expert advice already given...all of it is spot-on, imho,

However, I want to ask about the soldier! From what State did he serve? I ask, only because one of the odd little sub-collecting areas of mine is that of "Minnesotans who served in the CEF." I am always tempted by other medal groups issued to Americans who served in the CEF from other states, but try to remain focused.

It is a neat aspect of Americans' commitment to serve at a time when the US was attempting to remain isolated and neutral.

JAG

Do not touch the medals. The WWI Victory has it's original finish intact, so leave it alone! The War Medal is made of silver and they naturally turn black. Again, leave it the way it is. Your WWI pair is in original condition and is a nice pairing. As mentioned, the ribbons are on the wrong medals.......

-Ski

I did not elaborate previous but I agree...don't clean your medals.American collecters do not clean them.

The pair is as issued. They came in a small box with the unmounted ribbons folded in the box, long enough to provide for ribbon bars and bar-mounting. You can get the veteran's Canadian attestation paperwork on-line at:

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/first-world-war-1914-1918-cef/pages/search.aspx

These are also available on ancestry.com.

Thank you to everyone for responding! I am loathe to do anything to an item such as cleaning it, so no worries there. Now to the ribbon, it sounds like the general consensus is to switch the ribbons. My only concern is that this is the way the veteran placed the ribbons. Of course, his widow or children may have put the ribbons on the medals also. Whoever did it, did a nice job of putting the Victory ribbon on the War medal.

Jagjetta, The vet was a Hoosier, to the best of my knowledge he was born and bred here.

JBFloyd and Lettow, thanks for the info on the attestment papers. The Canadian government is digitizing all of the service records for WWI and I am guessing that this vet's records will be online late in August or in September. With the work the Canadian government and others are doing with WWI records, it will make collecting CEF very interesting.

The ribbons are of the period and I would swap them also.

Nice find !

Wharf

Thanks Wharf! Im looking forward to getting his records and posting the entire group.

BigJohn#3RD

Very cool grouping to a US citizen who went into the fight ahead of the Wilson Administration. I have not ventured into this area of collecting so I look forward to what you learn Beast. Thank you for posting this group.

Very cool grouping to a US citizen who went into the fight ahead of the Wilson Administration. I have not ventured into this area of collecting so I look forward to what you learn Beast. Thank you for posting this group.

Thanks John. The funny thing is, he enlisted AFTER the US entered the war. However, he was barely 17 years old when he enlisted, but he was married.

any nmaes engraved on the outside rim?

The vet's name is Harold MCDonald and both medals are marked. I'm hoping to have his records soon and I will post the entire group that I have.