Maker Mark ID.

strawberry 9

I really don't know much about the desirability of this particular maker. I have one (W&H Co.) that is a USN Aviator wing, and I really don't know if mine is legit. I am not saying yours is good or bad, but can you show a picture of the whole wing?

Chris

5thwingmarty

The feathers look like those on an Amcraft wing, but it looks like there are no horizontal lines behind the eagle. Can you post a more detailed shot of the front center of the wing?

Marty

5thwingmarty

I would say definitely an Amcraft pattern wing. I can't say whether W&H used those same dies or if someone made a W&H hallmark stamp to use on an unmarked wing to make it look more valuable.

It is an Amcraft pattern (although an old member on this forum used to insist that these wings were actually made by another company-- IIRC AMICO?).

The Amcraft pattern, especially after the war, shows up with a couple of different hallmarks, including Dondero.

Frankly, I don't believe I've ever seen a Whitehead and Hoag hallmarked WWII USAAF wing (although I have seen some ATC and civilian airlines wings). But that I haven't seen it doesn't mean a great deal.

It is possible that Whitehead and Hoag contracted out to make some wings in the Amcraft pattern? It would be nice to get a better picture of the hallmark.

Still, it is a pretty neat wing. thanks for sharing.

strawberry 9

Interesting stuff. Thanks to all for the info! I can defiantly make out the THE in this mark. I picked them up for $9.99 so wasn't a huge gamble.