unidentified German aircraft

coastie56

I recently acquired a photo album of a Luftwaffe HE 111 air crewman. In the album was this curious plane. It looks like a trainer but it has unusual olympic markings. I can't find a plane to match this trainer. He also had a picture with Nazi markings same type of plane. Anyone know what the heck this plane is. the upswept nose looks almost WW1 vintage.

Thanks

post-161199-0-33592800-1469657337.jpg

post-161199-0-14865800-1469657462.jpg

Researching the propeller "Heine" brings up hits on WW1 topics. Still cant seem to find the plane though.

There is a Google books hit for the German registration D-YGUR that lists an Erla 5. I can't find a picture of an Erla 5 so I'm afraid I can't be much help. I don't know if the Germans recycled registration numbers.

You might try asking on the Warbird Information Exchange.

Thanks guys, that plane is small! Looks like paper and baling wire construction in some of the pictures. Now to just figure out the Olympic markings. Probably did some demo flying at the Olympics.

here is some info translated from German:

Specifications: Dimensions: - Length: 6.80 m - Wingspan: 11.00 m - ailaire area: 14,00 m² - Height: 1.80 m Weight: - To empty: 265 kg - Maximum takeoff weight: 385 kg Performances: - maximum speed: 160 km / h at sea level - optimal landing speed: 62 km / h - rate of climb: 210 m.min - Autonomy 620 km (without additional tank) - ceiling: 4700m Engine : A Zündapp Z-9-092 engine of 50 horsepower, 4-cylinder, in-line, air-cooled. operational and sporting life: the first flight of Erla D 5 stands at the beginning of 1939, and is followed by rapid production. The prompt adoption of new airplanes by NSFK allows them to participate in the same year, many sporting events in Germany and abroad.Of these, the most notable is the April 1939 raid of making a course equivalent to three times around the earth, that is to say, complete a distance of 20 000 km, in minimum time, and joining various large cities in strong symbols for the Third Reich. Berlin, Rome, Tripoli, Benghazi, Cairo, Baghdad, Tehran, Sofia, Budapest and Berlin (twice), and are connected by the pilot, Fritz Auferman, which has not met any failure during its journey. Another famous event which involved the aircraft is flying nonstop Fridrichshafen am Bodensee - Vaennaes, representing a journey of some 1915 km! Such theft is a world record for an aircraft in this category, the previous record being about him to 1631.8 kilometers. However, with the conflict, we lose track of the larger share of Erla 5 D, and we can only assume they have done honestly the instruction and development of aircraft function. Production: The number exact aircraft product is unknown, probably around twenty devices. iconographic Gallery:

operational and sporting life: the first flight of Erla D 5 stands at the beginning of 1939, and is followed by rapid production.

Your quote may apply to a later version of the plane, the 5D. Several German sources seem to indicate that the first Erla 5 planes were test-flown in 1933, which could have made the aircraft available for use by the 1936 Berlin Olympics.

There actually appears to be quite a bit of information about the Erla 5 on German websites, which Google Translate can help make more useful to English readers :)

It's not. But at least we have a full identification of the aircraft.

Small as it is, aircraft like this led to the resurgence of the Luftwaffe.

Topic closed. Any further discussion can take place through Private Messaging.