MY GGUNCLE WAS A DESERTER....SORT OF

BEAST

My Great, Great Uncle Lemuel enlisted in Company B, 36th Indiana Infantry in August of 1861. In the July 1862 muster rolls, he is listed as a deserter. It took almost 24 years for the matter to be finally cleared up.

In May of 1862, he is shown on the rolls as having been left behind in Kentucky due to illness. In July he was carried on the rolls as a deserter having deserted in Tennessee. The problem was, he never left Kentucky! He was admitted to the post hospital at New Haven, Kentucky in December 1861 and then sent to Nelson Barracks, Kentucky, where he was treated for measles. In March of 1862, he was sent to Louisville and given a discharge furlough supposedly signed by General Don Carlos Buell (I never saw it). He then went home to Indiana to await his discharge.

He was arrested as a deserter in April, 1862 and returned to the Army. Since he had a discharge furlough, he was cleared and returned to active service. In May 1863, he was discharged due to disability and went home again.

It wasn't until 1887, when he applied for his pension that he learned he was still being carried as a deserter. He was able to get his name cleared and receive his pension.

That's a great story! I have a GG Uncle that fought for the south in the 22nd Georgia. He served from the beginning to the end and was promoted to Sergeant but when the unit surrendered he was home putting in the crops. This was allowed to some degree and never was an issue throughout the war. That said, since he wasn't paroled, wasn't a released prisoner, and wasn't in the hospital, his service doesn't qualify for membership in groups like the Sons of Confederate Veterans! its like he almost didn't exist. Its truly interesting to see how much those records and their details mean later on. Scott

Garandomatic

Got a cousin that was in an Ohio unit, then ended the war with the 16th Illinois cavalry and is listed as a deserter on the Ohio roster.