Us M2 Compass found in german kit bag by French POW

Papido76

My dad was a French POW in the small camp of Hunfeld near Fulda ( Hesse) where he had to work in one of the local farms. in 1945 he was freed and came back home. He brought back a US compass found in a german's kit bag. See photographs

Is it possible to track down the original owner from the serial number # 37008# Stock # 7578443 # ? Someone told me it was a civilan compass, not army issued (?)

I am curious to know how this compass ended up deep inside Germany.

Any information or ideas will be welcomed post-163181-0-11017900-1469610889.jpegpost-163181-0-65416700-1469610904.jpegpost-163181-0-28446800-1469610910.jpeg

hbtcoveralls

it is US Army issue. It's not a Marching compass, but more for use by Artillerymen and Engineers. There's no way I know of to trace the issue of the compass by the serial number. These were still issued after the war and for many years afterward as well,

These things are about the most produced compass ever. Think they've been used for the last billion years just about... anyway you might be able to use the serial number to get a date of manufacture if you also have the makers name.

Backtheattack

During the last month of the war captured foreign material was in use by the german forces. Did you own documents from your dad at Hunfeld?