Canteen cup manufacturer

749th tank battalion

749th tank battalion

Hello all

I just recently joined this forum after visiting many times as a reference tool.
Now though, I can't seem to find an old post or thread involving what i think might be an obscure manufacturer of the tin/zinc plated steel canteen cups of 1942.
I could swear i saw a post once, mentioning "Wire & Metal Mfg. co."
I will try and include a photo of the stamping on the bottom of the cup (not handle). It appears legit to me. I have several that I saved from my father's now closed surplus store (Foley 1942, KM co. 1942, Owens Illinois 1942, and Edward Katzinger co. 1942.)

any help as to where this maker was located, and if indeed they were very limited in production would be appreciated.
I am sure as time passes I'll have more questions pertaining to canteens, cups and mess kits (meat cans), as i'm a reenactor / living historian and would like to put together a display of the variety of those items at public events.

Thank you in advance,
Andrew
post-163184-0-02296900-1469594309.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, I have never seen one with that co. stamping. You certainly have a rare and unique cup there. I believe I saw that name on something else other than a cup but can't remember where or what.

WIRE METAL MFG CO of Los Angeles had a few contracts, including one for meat cans in 1942. Maybe the same company, but with a smaller contract for the canteen cups.

post-14792-0-03607400-1471883436_thumb.jpg