Operation JUST CAUSE War Souvenir M16A1 ART Scope

warpath

ART scope liberated from a Panamanian soldier (LBP) by a US Army Ranger NCO who parachuted into Panama...This is a US produced Realist 4X ART Scope similar to the Vietnam ART scopes used with the M21 M-14 sniper rifles. The differences in the scopes are outwardly cosmetic and I can't explain the internals except that the 4 power optics are fixed. The mount is the intriguing feature since it was a specific adaptation for the M16A1 rifle used by Panamanian forces at the time. It was removed from the weapon and taken as a war trophy.

post-3653-0-82334900-1469574654.jpg

post-3653-0-88324100-1469574659.jpg

post-3653-0-34609700-1469574664.jpg

As a Just Cause collector, this has to be one of the nicest bringbacks I have seen from Panama.

As a Just Cause collector, this has to be one of the nicest bringbacks I have seen from Panama.

I'd like to see some of your collection. My son brought back some stuff

I knew a guy (the brother of a guy I worked with at the time) who brought back a Panamanian M-1 'Garand' rifle, with rack number on the lower stock. I asked how he was allowed to bring it back but he just smiled and changed the subject. He swore someone grabbed another and capped a Panamanian sniper with it as the M-16s wouldn't reach that far. Man, how I wish I knew more about that story today...

shawnmt6601

How is the mount different from the regular Leatherwood M16 mount?

The regular ART mount is a complex system with a cam that adjusts the rear elevation of the optic as the power ring it turned.

shawnmt6601

I knew a guy (the brother of a guy I worked with at the time) who brought back a Panamanian M-1 'Garand' rifle, with rack number on the lower stock. I asked how he was allowed to bring it back but he just smiled and changed the subject. He swore someone grabbed another and capped a Panamanian sniper with it as the M-16s wouldn't reach that far. Man, how I wish I knew more about that story today...

The M16A2 is full capable of hits to 800 yards and beyond, then or now.

the story that guy told you sounds like a typical fish story to me.

The M16A2 is full capable of hits to 800 yards and beyond, then or now.

the story that guy told you sounds like a typical fish story to me.

Ordinarily, I'd agree, but he had something out of a unit newspaper that mentioned the shot. Beats me how he was able to bring it back, though...

As for an M-16 reaching that far, I shot them countless times on active duty and I never saw anyone who'd have tried a shot that far out given that our qual ranges never went beyond 300 meters.

Spathologist

The regular ART mount is a complex system with a cam that adjusts the rear elevation of the optic as the power ring it turned.

Not those. These:

287144x.jpg

2wf5nhx.jpg

1970s vintage, sometimes with a NSN, sometimes without. Kinda hard to find, but out there. I had one in the mid-80s, sold it with the rifle. Wish I hadn't.

But the mount in the OP looks the same, just wondered how you could tell a PDF-issued piece apart.

• 4 weeks later...

The source of my scope set is from the Ranger NCO who acquired the set taken from a PDF soldier's rifle. He may have photos of him with this scope along with other Just Cause souvenirs ( he had photos years ago, but like most of use can't recall where he put them). I'll post anything I find related to the set. He did say that these were not common issue in the PDF and I'll get clarification. Ed