Upcoming WWII film - Fortitude

FSBE

Hey all,

Me and a few friends have been shooting a WWII film, and it's turning out to be pretty fun and really cool. The film is about 2 brothers, one is drafted, and the other enlists after his brother receives his draft notice. We're portraying 5th Division GI's in German in 1945.

Check out the teaser here (caution as there is foul language)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85uCx8aqmKg&sns=fb

We're still trying to film big battle scenes and only have 4 people, so if you or someone you know is a GI or German reenactor, shoot me a PM and we can shoot some awesome scenes! Enjoy,

John

Good luck with your project, but it's been my experience that up close rifle fire doesn't sound like a quiet "blip blip blip".

Good luck with your project, but it's been my experience that up close rifle fire doesn't sound like a quiet "blip blip blip".

Those were actual bullets we shot. Greek HXP M2 ball from me and some PPU .30 carbine.

John

stealthytyler

Those were actual bullets we shot. Greek HXP M2 ball from me and some PPU .30 carbine.

John

That is how it translates on camera When you record sound in auto mode and the compressor kicks in to keep it from clipping. It actually gives it a realistic feeling. Good job and keep it up.

That is how it translates on camera When you record sound in auto mode and the compressor kicks in to keep it from clipping. It actually gives it a realistic feeling. Good job and keep it up.

Precisely, because the way we perceive a bullet going off is quite different than the way the camera picks it up, Thanks Stealth!

John

Ok. I'm good with that. I never thought of how a camera picks that stuff up. Otherwise, I think there is some potential here. As I said above, good luck with your project! I look forward to seeing more of it.

Of course, if you really want your audience to get more of an idea as to what actual small arms fire sounds like, see if you can get your recording device to make it sound real. Here, the distant German MG fire was louder than the GI's fire.

Steve

Ok. I'm good with that. I never thought of how a camera picks that stuff up. Otherwise, I think there is some potential here. As I said above, good luck with your project! I look forward to seeing more of it.

Of course, if you really want your audience to get more of an idea as to what actual small arms fire sounds like, see if you can get your recording device to make it sound real. Here, the distant German MG fire was louder than the GI's fire.

Steve

Thanks for the advice Steve! I don't think our director/editor/producer really thought about that he put this together.

John

stealthytyler

I would pick up a zoom audio recorder and decent condenser mic and record your rifle at different distances to add in post. Make sure you record manually and adjust your levels So you don't Clip. To thicken the sound even more, record a rifle with 2 mics... One a few feet from muzzle and one maybe 30 feet away. It should enrich the film a bit more and make Mick happy haha sorry for the micromanaging tips, video prod is what I do!

I would pick up a zoom audio recorder and decent condenser mic and record your rifle at different distances to add in post. Make sure you record manually and adjust your levels So you don't Clip. To thicken the sound even more, record a rifle with 2 mics... One a few feet from muzzle and one maybe 30 feet away. It should enrich the film a bit more and make Mick happy haha sorry for the micromanaging tips, video prod is what I do!

Thanks for the tip Stealth! We recorded all of our lines (however not in this scene) with a separate mic. The quality difference speaks volumes. I certainly like the idea of 2 mics!

John

Awesome man, the teaser honestly made me want to see more. The German fire sounded great, the language added to the realism. Can't wait to see more

very cool John-

What are you shooting/editing it on?

(I do video production too - but we never get to shoot any weapons...)

stealthytyler

very cool John-

What are you shooting/editing it on?

(I do video production too - but we never get to shoot any weapons...)

Nice, seems to be a number of shooters and editors on here. Do you work full time in vid?

I am the director of an AV department and teach a few production and communication classes at a private college here.

We do mostly educational/entertainment/promo/event/live stream stuff.

We have a 3 camera studio (just built a 24 x 10 permanent green screen cyc wall).

We used to edit a lot in FCP, but now mainly use Premiere, and also Pinnacle's Studio for short stuff.

I am hoping to get some Black Magic 4k studio cameras.

Most of our run & gun is shot on JVCs. I am just getting into the DSLR stuff, but seems like you have to build a camera around the lens.

and yet, John doesn't even invite me on set...