Model 1859 USMC Forage/Kepi Insignia Anomaly. Staff NCO/Officers or Confederate?

For a true period CW USMC shako, I don't think $6000 is out of the realm of possibilities to a collector with the money to spend. A CW USMC frock coat missing half the buttons sold last year on a dealer site for $15,000

Maybe not Tim, but generally the family is 30-40% higher than what the market will bear on non- Marine Corps items, and I don't value an EM USMC shako @ 6k. I purchased a union General's Identified kepi 2 weeks ago for 6k, and there is no correlation, rarity doesn't always equate to $s. Or possibly I don't have enough appreciation for it yet, guess time will tell.

Steve Rogers

There is too much in this thread to talk about it coherently, but it would be wise to heed Brig's initial warning about the large number of fake CW USMC insignia out there (both stamped metal and embroidered.) I do not see enough information in any of the photos or in the provenances to make me comfortable with any of the insignia illustrated. Two of the shakos labeled "another 59" seem to me to be the same shako with a plume added, and it was rightly dismissed in another thread. The kepi may or may not be right: the insignia and cap could be real and together forever; they could be real and recently married; the cap could be real and the insignia fake; the cap could be late or just a commercial cap and the insignia good or bad. There is simply not enough there to say.

This is not too say there is not some real stuff out there. Five or six stripped USMC shakos came out through Ebay last year from one hoard. My recollection is that they were all Bent and Bush.