Rowland N. Hannon fantasy or real?

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

Picked up a group today withe two green class a's, one flight jacket, two display boxes and two plaques.

1963 to 1986

Airborne

SF

Combat Medic

NCO and CWO

Soldiers Medal

PHM x 3

I'll post pics if anyone heard of him that'd help

Online there are webpages that show him serving with the 568th Medical Company (Clearing) in Vietnam, working in the medical field as a civilian and being a member of the Purple Heart Society:

ph.jpeg

firefighter

Cool grouping. His combat service patch, on his flight jacket, is the 44th Medical BDE. Interesting that on how SSG jacket he has Senior Aircrew but his CWO he has Basic Aircrew.

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

There are levels of concern I have with the legitimacy of the group. It would be ideal if just a badge we're misplaced and all else accurate. That can be rectified.

If the awards don't come close to a match of the actual service then I have a problem. I know the guy served and it appears from the 1960's to the 1980's, but was he special forces and all that high speed stuff?

Rock

Cool grouping. His combat service patch, on his flight jacket, is the 44th Medical BDE. Interesting that on how SSG jacket he has Senior Aircrew but his CWO he has Basic Aircrew.

firefighter

I looked at his wings again. I noticed that on his enlisted greens he has SENIOR AIRCREW and his CWO greens he has BASIC FLIGHT SURGEON wings. From what I can find you have to be a commissioned officer to be a flight surgeon.Not sure what title an 'APA' is.

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

I'll get a closeup of the dog tags and the certificates. If he were an actual special forces medic and then went through additional certifications I can see him being a flight surgeon. There are some certificates that say something but by no means am I an expert on military medical.

I'll get the pics this afternoon.

Rocky

I looked at his wings again. I noticed that on his enlisted greens he has SENIOR AIRCREW and his CWO greens he has BASIC FLIGHT SURGEON wings. From what I can find you have to be a commissioned officer to be a flight surgeon.Not sure what title an 'APA' is.

I believe that APA is a type of physician's assistant. Possibly Accredited Physician's Assistant?

firefighter

If this is a put together someone went to a lot of trouble.

Would love to know the story behind the Soldiers Medal and TWO additional OLC's on his PH.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

From what I can find you have to be a commissioned officer to be a flight surgeon.Not sure what title an 'APA' is.

As a Warrant Officer physicians assistant he would be qualified for the Basic Flught Surgeon Badge:

To be awarded the Army Basic Flight Surgeon Badge, a service member must be a commissioned officer who is either a physician, Physician Assistant, or ANP (the latter two as of 2011 per Army Regulation 600-8-22) and successfully complete the Army Flight Surgeon Primary Course (AFSPC) at Fort Rucker, Alabama

firefighter

As a Warrant Officer physicians assistant he would be qualified for the Basic Flught Surgeon Badge:

To be awarded the Army Basic Flight Surgeon Badge, a service member must be a commissioned officer who is either a physician, Physician Assistant, or ANP (the latter two as of 2011 per Army Regulation 600-8-22) and successfully complete the Army Flight Surgeon Primary Course (AFSPC) at Fort Rucker, Alabama

I saw that too. But I didn't think WO's were COMMISSIONED officers.

Rakkasan187

When did he become a Warrant? It shows that he has the NCO Professional Development Ribbon with a numeral 2. This ribbon was instituted in 1981 and the numeral 2 would indicate that he was a graduate from BNCOC after PLDC. This is 1980's terminology which translates today into BLC and ALC..

I am not sure if these ribbons would be retroactive for this Soldier, but would imagine if he did earn them as an NCO then he would be permitted to wear them after becoming a Warrant Officer..

Leigh

firefighter

When did he become a Warrant? It shows that he has the NCO Professional Development Ribbon with a numeral 2. This ribbon was instituted in 1981 and the numeral 2 would indicate that he was a graduate from BNCOC after PLDC. This is 1980's terminology which translates today into BLC and ALC..

I am not sure if these ribbons would be retroactive for this Soldier, but would imagine if he did earn them as an NCO then he would be permitted to wear them after becoming a Warrant Officer..

Leigh

Looking at the one appointment certificate.It appears he became a WO in 1975.

So are WO's commissioned officers.His appointment certificate has, '..BY SECRETARY OF THE ARMY..'. Officers are from the President.

I saw that too. But I didn't think WO's were COMMISSIONED officers.

Wikipedia says Chief Warrant Officers (W-2 to W-5), warrant officers are commissioned by the President and take the same oath as regular commissioned officers (O-1 to O-10).

wos.jpeg

firefighter

Wikipedia says Chief Warrant Officers (W-2 to W-5), warrant officers are commissioned by the President and take the same oath as regular commissioned officers (O-1 to O-10).

attachicon.gifwos.jpeg

Interesting. Why is his SEC Army and not the President?