Need Help on This Purple Heart paper work

1st Sgt CES

1st Sgt CES

Hello Everyone----Found this over the weekend----paperwork for Corporal George P Zilinski, ASN 31020565, he was single from New Haven, Connecticut, enlisted 1941 birth year 1913. What does Presumed mean on the paperwork--I never have seen this before. In the VA 1946 book he is listed as FOD(Finding of Death) Any help would be great---Thanks Mark

post-6716-0-75706300-1469404033.jpg

Name:

George P Zilinski

Residence State:

Connecticut

Report Date:

20 Feb 1943

Latest Report Date:

28 Feb 1943

Grade:

Corporal

Service branch:

Army

Arm or Service:

Field Artillery

Arm or Service Code:

Field Artillery

Area Served:

North African Theatre: Tunisia

Detaining Country:

Germany

Died as Prisoner of War, Not Above Cases

Report Source:

Individual has been reported through sources considered official.

Name:

George P Zilinski

Inducted From:

Connecticut

Corporal

Combat Organization:

17th Field Artillery Regiment

Death Date:

28 Feb 1943

Monument:

North Africa

Last Known Status:

Missing

"presumed" The date he was presumed killed.The other dates would be when he was missing and finally confirmed dead.

His unit was decimated at Sidi Bouzid during the battle for Kasserine pass in Feb 1943. I have a POW group from another man in the same unit captured at the same time,

Kurt

The presumed date is the FOD date which was a year and a day after he went missing,

Kurt

BigJohn#3RD

I would imagine he was many of the unidentifiable dead that littered the battlefield in February 1943. I had a cousin who was serving with Co I, 163rd Infantry, 34th ID who was captured on 17 Feb 1943 in the same FUBAR Operation. To say it was one big CHARLIE FOXTROT is a gross understatement and not one of the shinning moments in US Army history.

My cousin spent two years as a POW having moved thru several camps before finally being “Liberated” from Stalag 3b Furstenberg in Brandenburg Germany by our Soviet “Allies” on 22 April 1945. Uncle Joe’s comrades told them to find their own way back to the the US lines. When he entered the service he weighed 149 lbs, when he arrived back in the states he weighed in at 99 lbs. After being discharged in October 1945 he tried to pick up his life but spent a lot of time in and out of the psychiatric wards at the local VA before dying in 1969 at the fairly young age of 47, leaving behind a wife and two daughters. The price that POWs pay for their time in captivity can never be truly be calculated by this government and people who did not experience it.

God Bless All Our POWs and MIA.

John

• 4 years later...
HelmetguyCT
On 7/26/2016 at 7:59 PM, 1st Sgt CES said:

Hello to everyone--Thank you all for the help on this item-----I learn something here all the time---Blue Skies Mark

I have this soldiers PH. Would you happen to have this certificate