P-51 NAMED "JERSEY BOUNCE"

R Michael

this Photo was in a recent album pickup. The album was mostly pacific theater snaps but this one stuck out. I did a search the plane but did not get much except the name of the pilot in the photo wasn't the name of the pilot i found in the search.

The sad part is on the reverse it is written that the fellow with the arrow was KIA.

Mike

post-1387-1221783723.jpg

1st Lt. Mahany served with the 55th Fighter Group, 343rd Fighter Squadron, in the later part of the war in the ETO. They were based out of Nuthampstead, England. The aircraft shown is P-51D serial #44-13837, coding CY-M. I think he had something like seven confirmed ground victories.

There is a lot of information on the 55th on this website: http://www.55th.org/ , but I'm at work and don't have the time to check and see if anything specific about him is on there.

Cheers! thumbsup.gif

Syd

The photo is probably from a guy who was a member of his ground crew. None of the men in the photo appear to be officers. Not to mention none of them REALLY look like Lt. H. Mahany. thumbsup.gif

Regards,

FRISCAN

Groovy photo Mike... this ship also had a second, more well-known identity as 'Miss Marilyn II'.

Here's another view of this Mustang as 'Jersey Bounce'...

2440_3a.jpg

Epay auction image

I'm not a uniform/patch guy, but that shoulder patch on the right-most fella looks like the blue and yellow is reversed. It could be the film, but that's the only thing in the photo which looks funky to me.

Fade to Black...