M1 Garand or Model 1905 Bayonets? Help needed.

bruv

I picked up some bayonets yesterday, and in my searching for information, I am now more confused than ever. Any help would be much appreciated. The one dated RIA 1906 came in the leather clad scabbard, but it has the bakelight type grips, not wood. The one that came in the fiber type scabbard has the wood grips. Perhaps the previous owner switched them, I don't know. Perhaps both scabbards are wrong for the bayonets. I just don't know enough about them to know what I have. I picked them up in a batch of things so had to take them too. Can anyone enlighten me. Thanks.

Davepost-508-0-27886400-1469294941.jpg

Both bayonets are Model 1905, as made by Rock Island Arsenal in 1906 and 1908.

They were made for the Model 1903 rifle, but will also fit the M1 rifle and were used on the M1 during WW2.

The plastic grips are WW2 period replacements. The wood grips are correct for the WW1 period and remained in use through WW2 unless replaced due to damage or a rebuild. I would put the wood grip version in the leather scabbard.

The leather scabbard is the Model 1906 modified to Model 1910 hooks, I call it the 3rd type, circa WW1 period.

The plastic scabbard is the USN Mark 1 from WW2 and was not intended to be used with the standard bayonet, although some were. It is probably a post war replacement, likely within the past 20 years or so.

As Bayonetman states, simply move the wood handled bayonet into the leather covered scabbard. That bayonet is in much better shape without the pitting and the grind marks to the sharpened blade on the 1906 dated example. The 1908 dated blade will go nice with the 1910 modifications on the leather covered scabbard.

Allan