Submarine Dolphins and Variations Post WWII

I like the Deep wave Gemsco. The Meyers looks good too with the sterling.

Thank you. I have had them both for many years.

Man o'man there are some nice looking dolphins here.

Here are a couple Vanguard examples; Sterling on the left and non-sterling on the right. Both have "Vanguard" in script lettering, which I would place the sterling example circa early 1950's and the other, sometime later.

As I left off with Meyer badges, I should mention that one can sometimes come across the Meyer pattern dolphins with Vanguard's "V-21-N" IoH manufacturer's code markings. Keep in mind that Vanguard was a supplier of militaria, not an actual manufacturer and they procured their sale material from other manufacturers, sometimes marking their logo on it. I should also point out that Vanguard purchased all assets of N.S. Meyer in July 2000, so IMO, those Meyer pattern dolphins marked V-21-N probably date from around that time frame.

post-50776-0-91522100-1470981938_thumb.jpg

re: "Robbins" dolphins:

Those are interesting dolphins indeed, almost remind me of the Nanco design. I am curious about the stylized 'R' trademark, what makes you confident they are Robbins manufacture? I have never seen this marking before. Thanks for showing!

I stand corrected! :blush:

post-50776-0-62403700-1471137361_thumb.jpg

Here's a bit of direction change; how many collect these Yokosuka made "Westpac" dolphins?

Always thought that had some flair and didn't realize there were more than one pattern to these. Here's mine and much to my surprise, it's actually die stamped and not cast.

post-50776-0-16814100-1471142524_thumb.jpg

post-50776-0-21582600-1471142657_thumb.jpg

Tim those are nice. Is that a maker mark on the back? The main thing I noticed were the tips on the tails of the dolphin fish .

Tim, this is a nice pair of Yokosuka dolphins, especially with the bubbles in the waves, I have never noticed that some of them have this design. I have also never seen a hallmarked version of this, has anyone else seen a hallmarked version?

Here is my Yoko's, they do not have the bubbles and have more of a cast look to them. Plus they are solid no holes anywhere in the design.

post-13366-0-43565600-1471192951_thumb.jpg

Hi guys!

No, this example is not maker marked and I don't believe any were to the best of my knowledge. What you're seeing is scratches in the reverse surface, perhaps someone trying to see if it was sterling or plated bronze? I've also seen examples where the center reverse looks rough, which is why I always thought these were cast.

Supposedly, they were made in Yokosuka, Japan for those submariners on Westpac circa 1950's - 1960's. Though I can't positively say that is 100% accurate, it would make sense. The quality is too good for something coming out the Philippines back then IMHO. If you've ever been to PI, you know they made and sold all kinds of stuff for the U.S. military forces in and around the naval base at Subic Bay.

It might also be from the same manufacturer that made those original DBF badges, but only speculation on my part as I have never seen an original DBF pin that has provenance.

It's a nice example. This one does not have the periscope cut out as much as others I've seen but being die struck was a happy surprise.

Chris,

If I would put a "type" to these, I would say mine was probably a "Type 1" with the cutouts. The pins on mine are soldered directly on the reverse and you cannot see the pin heads. I've seen others that have the pins soldered using a soldering paste similar to your examples and you can see the heads.

Notice the wave pattern on your examples is different and more striated than mine and how the bow plane does not touch the left dolphin. I've also seen cutout tail examples of that "Type 2" pattern as well.

I liked your Gemsco Sub Supply Officer so much I had to get one!

Quite nice, still shows the quality of design and workmanship I am used to seeing from this maker. Longer pins (1/4") tells me late 1960's to 1970's vintage at earliest. Interesting, as these have a nice deeper, almost chocolate, gold finish to them and they definitely stand out compared to the other gilt dolphins. Thanks for showing some different items! Enjoy!

post-50776-0-19575100-1471640780_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Leatherwringer

Here is a jumper from the USS Chopper that I just acquired. It is named and the tag dates it to 1963.

It has Gemsco N.Y. Dolphins on it.

post-13664-0-13838200-1487440334_thumb.jpg

post-13664-0-85061500-1487440345.jpg