Black dye on brown leather

TJM

I have heard Acetone may work(basically finger nail polish remover)You can buy cans of it at a hardware or home supply store.It may also dry out the leather some.

RON

I have heard Acetone may work(basically finger nail polish remover)You can buy cans of it at a hardware or home supply store.It may also dry out the leather some.

RON

Full strength Acetone as you would find in a hardware store is nasty stuff, and very strong.

If you are going to try this, I'd suggest experimenting on another pair of shoes of little or no value first.

It has been my limited experience that there is not much you can do. Leather is pourous and that black dye sinks in very deeply.

Sometimes, when I get a new item, especially one that is old, I think about how many hands it has passed through over its lifetime. It simply is what it is. I am not intending to seem mystical here, but there is no magic elevator to back in time.

However, that being said, if you find one, let me know. My damaged crossed rifle "01" pinback needs that missing "5".

It has been my limited experience that there is not much you can do. Leather is pourous and that black dye sinks in very deeply.

I agree thumbsup.gif

I would not recommend trying to remove black dye from leather, because it has soaked into the pores, it would do more harm than good if you tried to take out the black dye.

better to leave it as is

I too have sadly to admit there is nothing to do. I've tried everything including fine steel wool and emery cloth. In the end I redyed holster with black shoe polish.

yep, that is why alot of people stay away from wwii holsters, that have been 'irreversably' dyed black, there is nothing you can do, it sucks the color in and is there forever

I heard they started dying them black around 1958 , a black dyed WWII holster still makes a good early Vietnam display.

They said in 1956 when new black boots were introduced and of coure you can use these holster only with Viet era stuff.

• 4 months later...
Klorvin Borno
They said in 1956 when new black boots were introduced and of coure you can use these holster only with Viet era stuff.

How about if you strip it (nothing too strong) and you dye it with brown and then polish with a light coat of brown shoe polish. As has been mentioned try this on other leather to see if the color is right.