Aircrew wing with lightening bolt in center?

stratasfan

Hi, Wing Pros! Hoping someone here can help me out with a set of mystery wings. Found this a while ago, and been wanting to post the pics to get opinions. What is this pair of wings? It is an aircrew wing with what looks to be a lightening bolt in the center, over the great seal. Any thoughts?

post-151812-0-28420200-1469042086.jpg

post-151812-0-11467100-1469042095.jpg

I would hazard a guess and say the lightning bolt is an unofficial addition by an radio operator to his issued aircrew wing.

Oh, that's an idea! Does it look like a WWII era wing? I didn't see it marked anything, but the clutchs looked like the WWII type. Was it common to modify wings? I really like the idea. :)

It looks like it could be sterling to me from a close-up. I had saved one more picture. Are modified wings typically more expensive? Or does it "ruin" it. I've not run across something like this before!

post-151812-0-39440000-1469053061.jpg

I would hazard a guess and say the lightning bolt is an unofficial addition by an radio operator to his issued aircrew wing.

I agree.

Unofficial radio operator comes to mind.

firefighter

The wings do look like WW2 era clutch back, short pins. I agree with above that it may be an U/A radio operator, which were enlisted aircrew.

It looks like it could be sterling to me from a close-up. I had saved one more picture. Are modified wings typically more expensive? Or does it "ruin" it. I've not run across something like this before!

attachicon.giftheatre made radio op wings 3.JPG

Makes it quite unusual and therefore desirable--great find!

Thanks for all the comments! So, do you think that $60 was a fair price? I know these often depend on "appeal", too, which they do to me! The clutchs say sterling, adn the wings look like sterling. Was it common to have non-sterling from this era?

Actually, I ended up bidding on them. They came up a while ago and I saved pics. Then, I contacted the seller and offered to him, which he was open to originally, but then someone bid, so I'm bidding! :) I don't know what will happen, but it has been a fun thing anyway it turns out! Cool link that Flyboy-trav posted. I like the theatre-made wings! I've seen pictures a few times of Indain made wings and they look cool. I think it is cool that the guy was so proud of his position that he went out and got custom wings!