Photo's from pre WW1 to 1930's ?

khaki

...These guy's don't appear to be American do they?

No. My WAG (followed by a suggestion): Section Number 1, 93 Company, Royal Garrison Artillery, Nowara Eliya, Ceylon, ca. 1914 - 1918.

Royal Garrison Artillery was the British counterpart to the U.S. Army's Coast Artillery Corps, which is a slim tie-in with the preceding 60 or so posts in this thread. Still, this is a pretty radical change of subject. Do you have more material from Florida or other material that might help to confirm the inconclusive Philippine connection of some earlier posts? The Royal Artillery might be better served in a new thread (if the mods will even permit continuing with a foreign militaria topic).

#71 and #73 are Brits and if 73 is Hong Kong...there may well be a PI or North China connection....any more of China with US troops present? If this guys wasn't stationed in North China, could be he was on a USAT ship that was making the run between the states Chinwangtao/Tientsin and Manila and stopped in HK as they did from time to time. Maybe that accounts for how the brit photos got in there.

I thought those guy's looked British ;) Your guess is as good as mine as to why those photo's were in the album. Perhaps the creator of the album knew them somehow?? Could he have rotated to the same area those Brit's were stationed? The extra info of what was written on the Hong Kong pic does help.

I never got any info on the history of the album when I received it but I always felt that the original owner was the only one who put stuff in it and it just wasn't random photo's put there from antique dealers. Too many of them show the same people and they seem to all point to the same location from what you have all found.

I scanned some more and now you guy's have me looking at the background more and looking for that little detail that could help pin point the location w00t.gif

Early in the thread it was said that a motor lauch was necessary to access the island. I think this shot shows that. I don't know if Fort Pickens was the only place they had to do that. I'll post larger images....

Is that the fort wall in the background maybe? (and what is that pouch that guy is wearing on his belt?)

post-4120-1222832401.jpg

Salvage Sailor
Here you go.. I'm still figuring out this resizing thing :blink:

This is much clearer and the sign can be made out better. These guy's don't appear to be American do they?

m___Group_photo_look_British_copy.jpg

These are definately Brits, Nuwara Eliya is in the highlands of Ceylon (Sri Lanka now). My mother was born in Colombo, Ceylon and our family albums are full of photos like these taken in the tea plantations and the rubber plantations.

These are definately Brits, Nuwara Eliya is in the highlands of Ceylon (Sri Lanka now). My mother was born in Colombo, Ceylon and our family albums are full of photos like these taken in the tea plantations and the rubber plantations.

Thanks! Not sure what the connection is between these Brit's and the Americans in all my other photo's?

Again thank you for the excellent research and info on the battleship photo's. I'm going to see how large I can get them made and frame them. My "war room" might become a reality soon and I'm looking forward to putting up some photo's from this album. thumbsup.gif

There are a couple photo's in the album similar to this one. It doesn't look like a military ship but there are soldiers putting buoy's in the water.

post-4120-1222836575.jpg

...It doesn't look like a military ship but there are soldiers putting buoy's in the water...

In addition to manning the heavy artillery at coastal and harbor defenses, the Army also used mines in some locales. The Coast Artillery Corps Mine Planter Service operated a small fleet of boats to deploy and maintain these mine fields. Army officers and soldiers crewed these boats, as shown in these pictures. If you can find a boat's name in your pictures, there is a good chance of pinpointing its location.

Salvage Sailor
Thanks! Not sure what the connection is between these Brit's and the Americans in all my other photo's?

Again thank you for the excellent research and info on the battleship photo's. I'm going to see how large I can get them made and frame them. My "war room" might become a reality soon and I'm looking forward to putting up some photo's from this album. thumbsup.gif

There are a couple photo's in the album similar to this one. It doesn't look like a military ship but there are soldiers putting buoy's in the water.

n___work_detail_on_ship_in_harbor__1_copy.jpg

These men are rigging a chain of crown buoys together. These buoys are used to provide floatation to other objects while positioning them in a specific location. Then the object is dropped, moored or anchored, and the crown buoys are recovered by the tug.

Wailuna is quite right, this is most likely an Army tug or tender rigging buoys for harbor defense.

teufelhunde.ret
I scanned some more and now you guy's have me looking at the background more and looking for that little detail that could help pin point the location

Early in the thread it was said that a motor lauch was necessary to access the island. I think this shot shows that. I don't know if Fort Pickens was the only place they had to do that. I'll post larger images....

Is that the fort wall in the background maybe? (and what is that pouch that guy is wearing on his belt?)

post_4120_1222832401.jpg

This scene certainly does appear to be back at P-Cola. The pouch looks like a McKeever cartridge pouch.

• 5 years later...