Photo's from pre WW1 to 1930's ?

khaki

Wanted to share some photos from an album I picked up years ago and hope others who are more knowledgeable could give me more detail on dates and types of equipement shown. There are over 50 photos in this album so I will just start with a few.

I think some were taken in the Phillipines or some American garrisoned island. There are photos of what I would call some type of coastal artillery and morters. There are shots taken in the barracks, parade grounds, around and aboard ships and boats, tent's, formal portraits and guys goofing off. It's an album I enjoy looking through over and over and hope everyone else will enjoy them too.

Khakipost-4120-1221697591.jpg

I thought the round canteens were interesting...

post-4120-1221698090.jpg

Not sure if this is the dress uniform of the same era as the previous photo's or not. Notice the palm looking tree, thats why I was thinking an island.....

I guess we would have had coastal artillery in Florida or California too. :rolleyes: Some of the other shots have more buildings in them so maybe someone can figure out what post these guys were stationed at. I was thinking someplace more foreign because of this photo below of bodies in a ravine.

post-4120-1221704652.jpg

My first thought is the palm tree shot was taken in Florida, or along the Gulf Coast or SOCAL.

Palm trees are not native to California except for a relative handful that grow in desert canyon oases and in pre-WWI years (judging by the ovoid canteens) and it would seem unlikely they'd have been planted on a military post then (now we have them everywhere in SOCAL).

The bodies in the trenches and the big mortars are consistent with some photos from during and after the Philippine-American War , called the "Philippine Insurrection " I wonder if it's Fort Mills on Corregidor.

Filipino_casualties_on_the_first_day_of_war.jpg

standard.jpg

teufelhunde.ret
aa___Review_Dress_Uniform_Rifles_2.jpg

Not sure if this is the dress uniform of the same era as the previous photo's or not. Notice the palm looking tree, thats why I was thinking an island.....

I agree with Dirk, there are scenes from various locations. This image is without doubt deep south, the architecture of the buildings are southern influence (or West Indies) and sabal palmetto's at that time were only along gulf coast from Texas to Florida, up to South Carolina. And again West Indies. S/f Darrell

...the big mortars are consistent with some photos from during and after the..."Philippine Insurrection " I wonder if it's Fort Mills on Corregidor....

The design of the mortar emplacements (Batteries Way and Geary) at Ft. Mills was different than the "pit" design shown in posts #7 and #8 (and the mortar battery shown in post #8 was Battery Seminole at Key West Barracks, Florida). If the mortar battery in post #7 was from the Philippines, it might have been one of the two 4-mortar pits of Battery Koehler at Ft. Frank, which was in service from 1913 to 1942. On the other hand, if other pictures in this album are from the U.S. Gulf coast, the mortar pit show in post #7 might well be another picture of Battery Seminole.

The design of the mortar emplacements (Batteries Way and Geary) at Ft. Mills was different than the "pit" design shown in posts #7 and #8 (and the mortar battery shown in post #8 was Battery Seminole at Key West Barracks, Florida). If the mortar battery in post #7 was from the Philippines, it might have been one of the two 4-mortar pits of Battery Koehler at Ft. Frank, which was in service from 1913 to 1942. On the other hand, if other pictures in this album are from the U.S. Gulf coast, the mortar pit show in post #7 might well be another picture of Battery Seminole.

The one in post 8 was ID'ed as being in the Philippines.

...The one in post 8 was ID'ed as being in the Philippines....

I should have cited my source: Seacoast Fortifications of the United States: In Introductory History, by Emanuel Raymond Lewis, Washington D.C., 1970.

Lewis uses the picture in post #8 on page 84 of his book and identifies the location as Key West. On page 85, he shows three other pictures of this same battery in stages of action. He cites Signal Corps numbers for the three of these four pictures that are in the National Archives; he owns the fourth. Google Book Search will return a near complete copy of the 1993 ed. of this book. Unfortunately page 84 is omitted, along with the picture in question and the extended caption, but page 85 is present with the other three pictures mentioned above (link here).

This site is fantastic!! All you guy's are so knowledgable and helpful! There are still a lot more photo's in this album I would like to share. Since about 98% of the photo's do not have anything written on them everything you tell me about them makes them all the more fantastic for me. I will get some more of them posted.....

Here is a shot that shows more buildings....

post-4120-1221866283.jpg

Some of the photo's are of ships too. Here is one that looks like a battleship to me. One of the few photo's that has a name is one of a sailor. I will include it also. I haven't been able to find anything on him yet..

post-4120-1221869086.jpg

The back of this photo is marked..

Ralph Edgar Whitney. US Navy Pacific Fleet.

I will get some of the other small boat photo's posted too.

Thanks again to everyone that has had so much info to share about these photo's! Khaki

post-4120-1221869442.jpg

Salvage Sailor
The back of this photo is marked..

Ralph Edgar Whitney. US Navy Pacific Fleet.

I will get some of the other small boat photo's posted too.

Thanks again to everyone that has had so much info to share about these photo's! Khaki

d___Portrait_Semiformal_Individual_Ralph_Edgar_Whitney_US_Navy_Pacific_Fleet_copy.jpg

USN Petty Officer, right arm rate, WWI era

Salvage Sailor
Some of the photo's are of ships too. Here is one that looks like a battleship to me. One of the few photo's that has a name is one of a sailor. I will include it also. I haven't been able to find anything on him yet..

j___3_stack_Battleship_of_the_US_Pacific_Fleet_while_in_the_Philipines_perhaps_copy.jpg

That looks like a 'Maine' class battleship after conversion (the tripod masts were replaced by cage masts). Could be the Missouri BB-11 or Ohio BB-12 during or shortly after WWI.

(Missouri above, Ohio below)

ussmobb11_big.jpg

Uss_ohio_bb_12.jpg

Salvage Sailor

j___3_stack_Battleship_of_the_US_Pacific_Fleet_while_in_the_Philipines_perhaps_copy.jpg

.....of course, it could be the USS Maine BB-10 too (not to be confused with the USS Maine sunk in Havana in 1898)

n14933t.jpg

I wish my photo of the battleship was closer so we could know which one she is think.gif The other shot I have is of a 2 stacker. Would it be a destroyer?

post-4120-1221885930.jpg

Could someone also tell me what type of uniform is being worn by the man on the far right. Is it the dress version of what the other guys have? I'm assuming they are all in the Coastal Artillery since most of the photo's seem to deal with the subject ermm.gif

post-4120-1221886170.jpg